Maine LD53 - Wood & Oil in One Flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManiacPD

Jul 1, 2008
Maine
Does anyone have any idea what this legislation means?

From my understanding it looks like any existing installations before February 1998 are grandfathered, as long as there is sufficient draft, CO2 monitors near bedrooms, etc. Is that correct?

We bought our house in 2004 and had to swear we wouldn't use the woodstove or we'd void our homeowner's policy. I put in a wood boiler with a separate flue in a boiler room located in the garage and it is blessed by the insurance company. The house was built in 1993 so I think I've got grounds to argue with my insurance agent now that I can use the stove. Or not? It would be nice to fire it up on cool mornings rather than start the Memco, wait to heat the storage, etc...

Thanks

The legislation passed may be different that what your insurance company allows/does not allow.
I guess my thoughts are that you would still need to check with your carrier to see if this would have any impact should you incur a loss to your home. (Basically, just because a governmental authority says something is ok, doesn't mean the ins co will follow suit....i.e. Ok to not wear a helmet in NH for a motorcyclist, but not all carriers will insure motorcycles in NH)
Good luck.

Trust me when I say that if an insurance policy states "Thou shall not......" There is no argument when you need them.

The insurance company says it must meet code, and this changed the code - I THINK. Anyone else know?

I tried to get a copy of the bill, but all I got was a ton of hits for passing "Hemp" in maine :).....you crazy maineiacs!!!!
If the insurance companys position is it must meet code, and you have this in writing, and your house now meets code, you may be in luck.
need to see the actual legislation and a copy of the insurance policy to be sure.

Found it:

An Act To Permit the Use of a Common Flue for Oil and Solid Fuel Burning Equipment

Be it enacted by the People of the State of Maine as follows:
Sec. 1. 25 MRSA §2465, sub-§1-A, as enacted by PL 2005, c. 571, §1, is amended to read:

1-A. Routine technical rules. The Commissioner of Public Safety shall adopt rules pertaining to the construction, installation, maintenance and inspection of chimneys, fireplaces, vents and solid fuel burning appliances. Rules adopted pursuant to this subsection may include rules pertaining to maintenance and inspections, except as provided in subsection 1-B. Rules adopted pursuant to this subsection may not prohibit the use of a single chimney flue to vent 2 appliances that use different fuels. Rules adopted pursuant to this subsection are routine technical rules as defined in Title 5, chapter 375, subchapter 2-A.

Sec. 2. 32 MRSA §2402-A, as enacted by PL 1999, c. 386, Pt. J, §16, is amended to read:

§ 2402-A. Rules

The board may adopt reasonable rules for the issuance of various types and classes of licenses to cover oil and solid fuel burner installations and to set forth standards and rules for product approval. Standards and rules adopted pursuant to this section may not prohibit the use of a single chimney flue to vent 2 appliances that use different fuels. A license may cover one or more types of installations. The board may further adopt reasonable rules concerning the term and type of experience required by candidates for examination.

SUMMARY

The bill prohibits the Commissioner of Public Safety and the Oil and Solid Fuel Board from adopting rules that prohibit the use of a common chimney flue for 2 appliances using different fuels.

There was a long period of time when such installations were legal in MA.

My thought is that this bill makes sure they cannot prohibit it - in total...because many multi-fuel systems are tested and approved that way. I really doubt they are opening the door to such use as a general rule.

Just my 2 cents... I am an insurance underwriter. It is up to the company as to what they allow. If your company says have it up to code and you are fine, get that in writing from your agent, then put it in a fireproof container. There is a lot of room as to where different insurance carriers come in on this measure. Some are out of state, some only write in one state. (different regulations, etc.) Some underwriters make certain exceptions. If your agent tells you what you want to hear, get it in writing, the agency will not be paying your claim, the insurance company will be (or not)...

poooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook said:
VARNEY INS offered 2 in 1 coverage last year before the law! dunno how
me & OP both approve this law & dont worship nfpa211

True . . . Varney (and other insurance carriers) were even putting ads in the newspapers and on TV last year before this law was even passed saying they would allow the 2 in 1 flue deal.

As mcote and Ilikewood say . . . it is now allowable . . . but you most definitely want to run it by your insurance company. Let them know about the law (they probably know about it already though) . . . they may opt to allow the 2 in 1 flue based on the fact that Maine now allows this exception . . . or they may elect to stick strictly to NFPA 211 in its unaltered form.

mcote said:
Just my 2 cents... I am an insurance underwriter. It is up to the company as to what they allow. If your company says have it up to code and you are fine, get that in writing from your agent, then put it in a fireproof container. There is a lot of room as to where different insurance carriers come in on this measure. Some are out of state, some only write in one state. (different regulations, etc.) Some underwriters make certain exceptions. If your agent tells you what you want to hear, get it in writing, the agency will not be paying your claim, the insurance company will be (or not)...

Hey me too!! (Underwriter, that is) Wow, now there are 2 of us on Hearth.com :)

firefighterjake said:
VARNEY INS offered 2 in 1 coverage last year before the law! dunno how
me & OP both approve this law & dont worship nfpa211

True . . . Varney (and other insurance carriers) were even putting ads in the newspapers and on TV last year before this law was even passed saying they would allow the 2 in 1 flue deal.
u listen to dick hill on the radio?

Which station? I did read his column in the BDN when they were running it last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.