Make-up Water not in Outbuilding - problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JMann

Jun 27, 2008
Southern PA
I just finished installing my Thermopex line from my outbuilding (where the Seton resides) to the house. I plan on connecting the lines to the existing loop (radiator heat) so that my existing oil heating system (Burnham Jubilee) can act as a backup. The Seton came with a few items (Taco 008 pump, air vent, temp. & press. gauge, drain valve, fill valve, two aquastats, pressure relief valve, check valve, expansion tank). My concern is that I do not have domestic water running to the outbuilding for the expansion tank. I'm having trouble visualizing where the make-up water will come from when it is needed and where that expansion tank will go. I am going with a pressurized system using a 30 plate heat exchanger (if that helps).

-Any diagrams would be great, thanks.

Im no expert, but if you have make up water already connected to your existing oil boiler, and your wood boiler is tied into that closed system, I would think your all set.

I think you can introduce the makeup water at any point in the system, such as in the basement. That's where mine is, even though the boiler is out in the barn. On the expansion tank, I also have mine in the basement and it works fine. There's an optimum place to put your expansion tank relative to the pump, but I'm not sure where that is. Others around here do, and will hopefully share it.

I thought the expansion tanks hook up to your storage tanks?? I have diagrams from Cozyheat and they show the little one right off the boiler and then a large expansion tank connected to each storage tank ( two 500gal lp tanks) could you explain this a little more for me.

Thank you,
Rob

taxidermist said:
I thought the expansion tanks hook up to your storage tanks?? I have diagrams from Cozyheat and they show the little one right off the boiler and then a large expansion tank connected to each storage tank ( two 500gal lp tanks) could you explain this a little more for me.

The expansion tank is the "point of no pressure change" in the system. By pumping away from the tank connection, the pump adds pressure. This protects the system from air infiltration.

Joe

If I decide to remove the oil furnace from the equation (years from now); will having the make-up water and expansion tank so far away from the wood furnace be an issue?

What is your opinion of using the heat exchanger (30 plate) vs. not using one at all (open system)?

I have expansion at both my Seton and oil boiler 80' apart. I'm NOT seperated by a heat exchanger. Are you? If so you will need make up water to the Seton in the event of an over fire, which I have not experienced yet. I have no power back up so I stress the term yet.

If you have expansion at the Seton, are you supplying make up water there? I do not have water access at the Seton in my case. I need to get it from the basement where by oil boiler resides. I was planning on using a 30 plate heat exchanger. I've been told that making the Seton connection a pressurized one is a better setup vs. non-pressurized. It's not hooked up yet, so that may change if there is evidence / examples that contradict. I am using a plumber to install that is more versed with Central Boiler installs w/ no experience putting in the Seton/Greenwood style boilers and this is how he connects the majority of them.

Sound like the same setup I have. Oil boiler at the house w/ automatic fill and backflow prevention, of course. I went without a heat exchanger to be able to keep the system pressurized. Maybe you could put your HX at the oil boiler where the water supply is, as opposed to the Seton. I've thought of doing that myself. My setup requires only one circ pump runs 24/7 between oil & wood boilers. Mine seems to work well w/o the HX. Make sure you intall a dump zone.

I am doing exactly that (putting the 30 plate HX at the oil boiler). What are you using for your dump zone? I'm trying to find out how to set that up and where to get the equipment (and getting nowhere).

I have a good sized unit heater in my garage with a circ pump in line and both wired to my overheat aquastat. It works great and the added bonus is that if I want more heat in the garage, just turn the dial on the stat. Very simple, very effective.

I also have my boiler in an outbuilding and the expansion tank is also out there ahead of the pump but the fill valve and anti backup are located in the basement. It should not matter where the fill is located.

Status
Not open for further replies.