Matches

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stelcom66

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2014
Connecticut
This may seem trivial, but I don't like throwing out/wasting anything if it has some use. Sometimes when the strike (abrasive) part of a match book wears out, I wonder what other material could be used? I tried sandpaper, no luck. Maybe I used a grade that was too coarse.

Interesting article about matches - there's more to the strip than I thought. I forgot about those Strike Anywhere matches.

This may seem trivial, but I don't like throwing out/wasting anything if it has some use. Sometimes when the strike (abrasive) part of a match book wears out, I wonder what other material could be used? I tried sandpaper, no luck. Maybe I used a grade that was too coarse.
Easy answer...
Don't throw out your empty match books.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I keep my strike anywhere matches in a glass jar for a bit more safety.

Sometimes I overthink things and don't think of the easiest answer, I'll save empty match books.

Thanks

Sometimes I overthink things and don't think of the easiest answer, I'll save empty match books.

Thanks
I know how you feel about overthinking things;)

Strike anywhere matches are much cheaper in Canada, so I've been told, if you have any friends there.

Strike anywhere matches are much cheaper in Canada, so I've been told, if you have any friends there.
Do have one, in Vancouver. Good to know. Since I'm no longer working in tech support for retail, have the day off for a change! Good day to split some wood.