Material Melted on Glass Door - Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcnu

Dec 1, 2006
My wife was standing too close to the stove and some of her bathrobe melted on the glass door. Pretty good sized area. Any suggstions to remove it?

Pretty much time to haul out a razor blade scraper.

I would not remove your wife's bathrobe without permission. OH...you mean the part that melted to the stove window. Although I'm normally very reluctant to use a razor scraper on pyroceram, it just might be your best bet. Make sure the thing's at room temp, so you don't just smear the melted whatever it is material. Strop the razor on your jeans a couple of times to make sure it's burr-free, and be very gentle with it. When you've got all you can off that way, then go after it with a non-abrasive cleaner like Rutland stove glass cleaner or the stuff made for ceramic cooktops. I think you can get that all back off of there. Don't worry, be patient. Rick

Ya know, just sitting here thinking about it, I am not so sure just taking the door outside and burning that stuff off with a propane torch isn't a bad idea. The glass for sure will take the heat in stride.

Anybody that knows why it is a bad idea jump in.

BrotherBart said:
Ya know, just sitting here thinking about it, I am not so sure just taking the door outside and burning that stuff off with a propane torch isn't a bad idea. The glass for sure will take the heat in stride.

Anybody that knows why it is a bad idea jump in.

I can't think of any reason not to give that a try. Rick

BrotherBart said:
Pretty much time to haul out a razor blade scraper.

+1... effective, economical. good call, BB.

For future consideration I suggest asking your wife to remove her robe prior to standing near the stove.

....just sayin'

ansehnlich1 said:
For future consideration I suggest asking your wife to remove her robe prior to standing near the stove.

....just sayin'

It's a rule when she's at my house. Wait, What?

Get what you can with careful administration of a razor scraper with a new blade, then polish off the residue with GAS stove glass cleaner. The cleaner made for gas appliance windows contains mild abrasives, a bit more aggressive than stovetop cleaner but still gentle enough so as not to harm the neoceram. You apply a carefully measured amount (one glob) to the affected area and work it with a rag or paper towel in a circular motion as if you were polishing metal. Works like a charm.

My grandson was standing with his back to the stove and planted his tennis shoe clad foot up against the glass. Instant melted rubber on the glass. Tried scrapping it off but it was very stubborn. So I just continued using it and it gradually burnt itself off over a period of around two weeks. Worth a try.

I've had parents brush the dust off the 500deg stove with a nylon brush....

With the white enamel I have, a plastic scouring brush got it off eventually....

It's good to hear the bathrobe didn't ignite. That would have been terrible.

This must be the only site where you can get good information and a good laugh at the same time. Burning off in place didn't work, as it happened while stove still in daily use back in Feb - although with our weather I could still be using it daily - but that's another story for another post. I thought I'd have to resort to scraping so thanks for the info there - and using propane torch sounds good - outside of course. I have the small torch and also the one you attach to a 5 gal tank - a flame thrower. Is either ok or is the big one too much? Don't know what they made that bathrobe out of but I will certainly ask her not to wear it around the stove - or perhaps anything else for that matter.

bcnu said:
This must be the only site where you can get good information and a good laugh at the same time. Burning off in place didn't work, as it happened while stove still in daily use back in Feb - although with our weather I could still be using it daily - but that's another story for another post. I thought I'd have to resort to scraping so thanks for the info there - and using propane torch sounds good - outside of course. I have the small torch and also the one you attach to a 5 gal tank - a flame thrower. Is either ok or is the big one too much? Don't know what they made that bathrobe out of but I will certainly ask her not to wear it around the stove - or perhaps anything else for that matter.

little "plumbers torch" would probably do just fine and be easier to control. pyro/neoceram glass is generally rated up to 1400F so it should be able to take it provided you dont get too frisky with it. biggest thing to remember is safety. be extremely careful with the material while it is hot some materials when heated to melting point will literally stick to you and cause a really painful burn cause you cant get the material off. i had a melted plastic burn several years ago and trust me i wouldnt wish that on anybody.

be careful

Mike, I agree and am so gald the melted robe is on the stove glass and not on my wife's leg.

Dieselbreath said:
My grandson was standing with his back to the stove and planted his tennis shoe clad foot up against the glass. Instant melted rubber on the glass. Tried scrapping it off but it was very stubborn. So I just continued using it and it gradually burnt itself off over a period of around two weeks. Worth a try.

I would have thought this would do the trick. You burned for a while after the fact and nothing gradually came off?

Used the stove for many weeks after "meltdown" Tried to gently scrape shortly after it happened with little success. If I had posted this question back then perhaps we might have tried to do more with a warm door - but after the initail scraping failed I figured a hot stove wasn't going to be enough to do the job.

Having boys in our home, we've had just about everything melted onto the glass of our stove. In every case, I just wait until after the next fire. When reloading, I always swing the door wide open and let it cool for about 5 minutes. Then when I wash the inside of the glass with normal glass cleaner (non-ammonia of course), then I just do the outside and it's clean again.

If your glass is not burning off the plastic, then you're not burning hot enough (or maybe this stove just doesn't have a very good airwash?). It should also burn off any soot on the inside of the glass that may form early on while the fire is starting up.

I'll have to do some reading on microfiber but this melted gunk is like "one" with the window. Stove was hot and the Hearthstones do pretty well on the airwash. But after the initial attempt to remove, I let it sit. Still, I don't think a hot fire was going to do the trick and I was reluctant to do much lest I damage the glass. Guess I had better read up on that stuff too. Always something to learn about burning wood.

If it doesn't burn off by itself on the outside, could you remove and turn the glass inside out? Putting that stuff on the inside should definitely get it burnt off.

Status
Not open for further replies.