Meeco poly brush is too loose

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phatdonkey

Dec 15, 2014
West Norriton, PA
Hey everyone,

The newb is back with more questions. I went to clean my liner for the first time last weekend and the brush isn't very snug in the liner. I have attached a kink to my youtube channel with a video showing its looseness.

The liner is a flex king pro, two ply with the "smooth" inside wall. I'm worried the brush isn't doing a good enough job due to little contact on the walls. I have read it should be snug to get a good brushing. In order to get good contact i have to flex the rods the opposite direction. Is this the norm? Being new to all of this, and having less than perfect wood, on top of my brother having a chimney fire two years ago I'm paranoid about it. I did finish sweeping it with the loose brush and ended up with about 3/4 of a cup of material. About 20% of that was flaky creosote. The rest was brown powdery stuff i was informed was burnt ash. Now I'm curious how much more i would have gotten with a snug brush.

Thanks for any replies. I hope to someday be able to advise others with the knowledge i have gained from this GREAT site.

Well, mine fits a bit tighter in my liner, but only probably because it's corrugated. If it were smooth, I'd probably have the same results. If I were to let go of my poly brush (I think it's a rutland, more bristles on mine, as in it's a deeper brush, not wider) with the rods on, it would run down the chimney without me giving it much help, and it cleans mine to satisfaction.

I guess the question is, how does the chimney look after sweeping? Those results are the key. With many SS liners, it doesn't take much to remove the deposits.

If in doubt, I'd say that brush does look a bit thinner than mine, and with those gut feelings, I too would be tempted to return and try again.

You'd like the brush to be snug, but not stiff. Don't want to get that sucker stuck and no need to be abusive.

I am going to try one more thing before i add the scotch brite or return it. I thinknif i give the shaft right before the bristles a slight bend, maybe 10° it would make great contact on at least 2/3 of the liner. Then sweep straight up and down 2 or 3 times and turn it 90° and 2 or 3 passes. Ill see how that works out. If it doesn't then ill try the "add on". Then just return it if I'm not satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.