1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

michigan wood pellet fuel

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Jester, Oct 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jester

Jester New Member

Loc:
    Seacoast Massachusetts
    These pellets just became available on pelletsales.com for my area. Has anyone burned them? If so how were they.

Eric

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DiggerJim

DiggerJim Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northcentral Connecticut
    I 1.4 tons of them - one of the 3 brands I'm burning this year (also Hamers & Barefoot). They're a hard/softwood blend and look ok so far but I haven't burned them - just checked out the size, fines, color, etc. I'll try a bag this weekend and report back.
  3. DiggerJim

DiggerJim Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northcentral Connecticut
    Okay. Put a bag thru and have reloaded the stove with another one. The pellets are a tad larger than the Hamers I was burning (those tended to be under 1" - more of these seem to be in the 1 1/4" range). Fines were better (fewer) than the Hamers. Didn't notice any appreciable difference in heat but I did notice the flame pattern was smaller. The Hamers on middle feed rate (Lennox Profile 30 insert) reach 3/4 of the way up the back panel of the stove. The Michigans reached about 1/2 to 2/3 the way up the back wall - topping out about the top of the feed chute mostly. Draft was fine with dancing pellets so it wasn't a case of the combustion air. The Michigans also seemed to have less ash than the Hamers - and less sand/etc to cause clinkers in the fire pot. Overall, I'm good with these (which is good because I have 1 1/2 tons of them :) )
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.