Pellet pricing this 2023-2024 season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I checked with my local fuel supplier here in Western Mass to compare to local fuels. Punching those numbers into the pellethead.org fuel calculator:

Per million BTU and at 78% efficiency:
-----------------------------------------------------------
$29.32 Pellets ($375 per ton: Wood & Sons)
$37.16 Fuel Oil ( $4.00 per gallon)
$ 61.77 LP Gal ($4.40 per gallon)
$99.65 Electricity (.34 per kWh, 100% efficiency)
Wow, that is a huge electric price. Last year NH had the second most expensive electricity prices, behind Hawaii. But then with Eversource's most recent contracts (done every 6 months), the price per kwh went down quite a bit in August. The next contracts come up for January, so we will see then.

1700734169616.png

1700734208544.png

I just checked HD yesterday, and they are showing that they aren't selling tons of pellets, just by the bag. Don't know if the website is accurate, but seems pretty interesting if so.

I only have a pellet stove for heat in the basement. But the pellets I have were bought at much cheaper prices, so that is fine. I'm running the mini split on the main floor until the temps get low enough it can't keep the house where I want it. I have a bunch of credit with Eversource from net metering, so electricity is still "free". Using the propane boiler is my last choice as pellets are still way cheaper to run even at today's prices.

Although our electric prices here in Northern Michigan I quite a bit cheaper than yours, our pellets are still around 275 a ton so it makes sense to burn pellets still. I have a 36K mini split as well that works down to -22, the heat is ok but not great. It does keep the house good, but when it gets under 20 degrees it seems to defrost a lot and isn't able to keep up like a pellet stove. Our kWh price is .115, but there are other charges not included in this. My base electric bill per month if i'm not heating or cooling is about 125 a month. J
Wow, that is a huge electric price. Last year NH had the second most expensive electricity prices, behind Hawaii. But then with Eversource's most recent contracts (done every 6 months), the price per kwh went down quite a bit in August. The next contracts come up for January, so we will see then.

View attachment 319304

View attachment 319305

I just checked HD yesterday, and they are showing that they aren't selling tons of pellets, just by the bag. Don't know if the website is accurate, but seems pretty interesting if so.

I only have a pellet stove for heat in the basement. But the pellets I have were bought at much cheaper prices, so that is fine. I'm running the mini split on the main floor until the temps get low enough it can't keep the house where I want it. I have a bunch of credit with Eversource from net metering, so electricity is still "free". Using the propane boiler is my last choice as pellets are still way cheaper to run even at today's prices.

The cost for me to burn pellets at $275/ton is $21.50/MMBtu and Natural Gas in my furnace is $10.19/MMBtu so pellets really aren't economical for me for stand alone heating. I run the pellet stove in the basement just to keep it reasonably warm. Gas is still the way to go for heating the entire house. The HVAC system in my house sucks so the basement and master bedroom upstairs are always cold. When I replace the furnace I will have some additional ductwork upgrades done so I can keep the bedroom reasonably warm.

No natural gas around me the closest it is is a pipeline that crosses the main road about 2 miles away. I would probably look into using it if it were available, and just use the pellet stove when we are home and just lounging around, because I like the heat it gives off compared to the heat pump.