Pellet pricing this 2023-2024 season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vinelife

Minister of Fire
May 31, 2010
Way Up North Michigan
So, over the years pellets have slowly increased in price. I know here in Michigan I paid 274 a ton. Sure, if I would have bought them in the summer I could have gotten them for 250. What is everyone else paying?

Pellets are $350/ton for the run of the mill stuff at HD & TSC (around here that is GS and MWP). High BTU pellets are going for 400-500 (or maybe more). Selling by the bag is $8-9.

I haven't paid those prices yet as I have 4 tons of pellets I bought much cheaper in earlier years. I'm hoping it is a mild winter. And with electric prices half of what they were last year, people use other means of heating this season. If that happens, hopefully that means there will be some nice sailes so I can get 6-8 tons in spring to get me thru another year or two.

Reactions: ABusWrench
Electric prices around here have not dropped, only getting higher.

300 + 25 per for delivery. They bring and stack right in side the garage door.

A local dealer told me that the high pellet prices are because of fuel cost to transport. Was diesel lower a year ago than it is this year? I did a quick google search and got this info for diesel per gallon: June 2022 $5.75 per gallon. June 2023 $3.80 per gallon. The big box pellet prices seem much higher this year than last in my area. Something doesn't seem right to me.

Heating oil is almost 1 dollar less than a year ago (spot prices, not retail). Unless someone really loses their cool in the Middle East, you might want to wait it out for better prices. I already bought 2 tons at ridiculous prices, so it's easy for me to offer that advice.

A local feed mill. I used to get Hamers delivered from about 20 miles away, but at the time I had someone that would off load when the got her with a forklift. I don't have that anymore so I tried these and the burn well. They are AWP in the brown wood grained bag

So, over the years pellets have slowly increased in price. I know here in Michigan I paid 274 a ton. Sure, if I would have bought them in the summer I could have gotten them for 250. What is everyone else paying?

Kalamazoo area prices from two weeks ago:

Cost per ton:
$266/t at Menards for MWF's. They're made in Holland, MI.
$250/t at Blain's for Easy Heat's. Not sure where these are produced.
$290/t at TSC for Pro Pellet's. These are made in White Pigeon, MI.

Lowe's was $315/t for Easy Heat's after a 5% bulk purchase discount and then a 10% veteran's discount. :eek:

I still haven't bought a ton yet so I'm not sure what the pricing is today.

A local dealer told me that the high pellet prices are because of fuel cost to transport. Was diesel lower a year ago than it is this year? I did a quick google search and got this info for diesel per gallon: June 2022 $5.75 per gallon. June 2023 $3.80 per gallon. The big box pellet prices seem much higher this year than last in my area. Something doesn't seem right to me.
Also, something to consider is everyone is wanting a million dollars and hour, and a lot of stores are raising hourly rates so fast that the only way stores can stay afloat is to raise prices to compensate for it. The price of diesel is a factor. I heard in some state that the price of a big mac meal is 20 dollars. This is due to the bad idea of raising hourly rates because in the end or beginning NO one is making more money because the price of everything just goes up to meet the amount you're making. This would include Pellets. J

Paid 289 a ton for American wood fiber hard woods back in Sept.

Kalamazoo area prices from two weeks ago:

Cost per ton:
$266/t at Menards for MWF's. They're made in Holland, MI.
$250/t at Blain's for Easy Heat's. Not sure where these are produced.
$290/t at TSC for Pro Pellet's. These are made in White Pigeon, MI.

Lowe's was $315/t for Easy Heat's after a 5% bulk purchase discount and then a 10% veteran's discount. :eek:

I still haven't bought a ton yet so I'm not sure what the pricing is today.
I believe East Heat are produced near the Dayton, OH area.

Finally had mine delivered Wednesday, $299 + $30 delivery per ton. They are Appalachian wood Pellets (AWP) Been using them for several years now.

Just finished storing 3 ton of Somersets from Menards. Were on sale for $269 ton + 11% rebate. Have 270 bags of Somersets in the basement, let it snow!

Reactions: Vinelife
Looks like us pellet users in New England are getting reamed royally compared to other parts of the country. Prices here for junk pellets are over $300 a ton and better ones are $350+.

Wow !

Here in France, the cheapest one, Cogra (oldest pellet producer and Harman's french dealer) cost 402€, 5,75€x70 bags (1050 kg) from factory ground.

Last winter, prices went silly and some dealers solded at 15€ a bag o_0 Fortunately, I 've got a Cogra's account so pricing was stable for us.

Paid $1200 & $75 delivery for 3 tons of Vermont end of summer. Over the past 4 years Vermonts have gone from $300/ton to $400+. 3 years ago bought a couple tons of doug fir. They were $395 then, over $500 now

sam

Paid $1200 & $75 delivery for 3 tons of Vermont end of summer. Over the past 4 years Vermonts have gone from $300/ton to $400+. 3 years ago bought a couple tons of doug fir. They were $395 then, over $500 now

sam
Ouch. How much is fuel oil per gallon? The only year I burned pellets exclusively was when fuel oil prices went crazy in New England. I think I burned about 30 gallons that year, total. I was buying LaCrete's over in Hampton for around $300/ton. Green Supremes were $209 at HD in Salem but they were really crappy that year. I live in SW Michigan now and only burn pellets if I'm going to be in the basement a lot. Natural gas is pretty cheap and easy. My walk out basement gets pretty cold though. Vermont's were a pretty good pellet when I burned them on a test. LaCrete's were hot and clean. Made from SPF lumber mill sawdust.

Looks like us pellet users in New England are getting reamed royally compared to other parts of the country. Prices here for junk pellets are over $300 a ton and better ones are $350+.
yep, seems like it. I bought 2 tons at $330/ton at Tractor Supply for their house brand. Lowes/HD Lingenetics were $350/ton. I'm happier with how the TSC ones burn compared to last years Lingenitcs so far

I, like others, and wondering if I'm really getting any ROI by the effort I'm putting it using the pellet stove vs oil. Last year when oil was $6+/gallon, maybe. this year when it's down near $4 or whatever it is, maybe I'd have been better off just running the furnace. Especially considering I've got over $1k into the stove, have to order 2 more backup ignitors for when they inevitabley die, I have to clean it regularly, etc.

I burn wood in the lower level of the house, but that doesn't heat the upper level much. Also questioning the ROI vs time on wood too, now that life is busier and busier

I checked with my local fuel supplier here in Western Mass to compare to local fuels. Punching those numbers into the pellethead.org fuel calculator:

Per million BTU and at 78% efficiency:
-----------------------------------------------------------
$29.32 Pellets ($375 per ton: Wood & Sons)
$37.16 Fuel Oil ( $4.00 per gallon)
$ 61.77 LP Gal ($4.40 per gallon)
$99.65 Electricity (.34 per kWh, 100% efficiency)

Reactions: ABusWrench
I checked with my local fuel supplier here in Western Mass to compare to local fuels. Punching those numbers into the pellethead.org fuel calculator:

Per million BTU and at 78% efficiency:
-----------------------------------------------------------
$29.32 Pellets ($375 per ton: Wood & Sons)
$37.16 Fuel Oil ( $4.00 per gallon)
$ 61.77 LP Gal ($4.40 per gallon)
$99.65 Electricity (.34 per kWh, 100% efficiency)
Wow, where I'm at we are only paying about .12 per kWh