Mild season so far & hot pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

titanracer

Feeling the Heat
Nov 10, 2011
South Central PA., Newville
This season so far has been a trying season. I started the season with 2 ton of Somersets & 1 ton of Hamer'e Hot Ones. They are both a hot burning pellet. With the mild weather so far & only having hot pellets, it's hard getting the stove to heat just nice. I'm running it on the lowest setting of 1 feed & 1 blower speed. It heats the place up to 80 to 85+ degrees & higher. I have to shut it off all the time which then, it has to be cleaned more often. Right now I'm burning the Somerset pellets because to me the Hamer's are hotter yet. Running it on the lowest setting all the time, produces a lot more carbon build up in the burn pot & on the end of the auger & it seems hard as he!! to get off. I know from past experience with these pellets, if I turn up the feed to a 2 or 3 & the same for the blower speed, the carbon build-up is resonable. We already had a few nights in the high teens to low 20's & raised the settings to a 2/2 or 3/3 & the carbon build up was very reasonable & cleaning it off came very easy. Just running it this low all the time is making clean-up a bitc!. This is my 1st season without having a so called shoulder pellet to use & I have been burning pellets for 5 years now.

You need a thermostat :) 95% of the use of mine is on 'warmer' days than colder ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.