Milk crates suddenly dangerous to sit on...........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dennis does not have a leg to stand on! :lol:

Yes Jay, but I do have a couple of good milk crates yet. :lol:

Backwoods Savage said:
Yes Jay, but I do have a couple of good milk crates yet. :lol:

I would like to see the horizontal crowd bust one of my rounds....After a couple weeks rehab those create be looking good! :lol:

Just keep on cutting those big rounds Jay. The amount of wood you need it would be too much work to cut small stuff. You are doing it right.

XactLEE said:
About the only thing that I can see happening with a crate is a bad case of "Waffle Ass"!!!

ROFLMAO. Thanks for makin me laugh this afternoon Lee. Much appreciated! A C

Watch out Dennis,
The new Government regulations may cause a recall of all milk crates used as stools.
I'm gonna hide mine & no new pictures of them online, LOL :)

"Waffle ass" LOL I never thought of turning it up side down to sit on. I put a padded (blue board styrofoam) & 3/4" plywood top on mine, it doubles as a tool box.
Cut the blue board the size of the inside, flip it over when not used to sit on. Warm & cozy :)

We'll be guarding our milk crates. :lol:

smokinjay said:
I would like to see the horizontal crowd bust one of my rounds....

Probably didn't think an overweight middle aged guy with an electric horizontal could do anything over 8" in diameter did ya? I know, your rounds are bigger.

Attachments

• oak split.jpg
    oak split.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 557
That's sweet when they split that easy. But just think of the work you'd save by doing it vertically!

Backwoods Savage said:
But just think of the work you'd save by doing it vertically!

lol this is one of the few things we disagree on

It's okay Solar. You are forgiven.

Warning: In the words of Warren Zevon: Life'll kill ya. Then you'll be dead.

Or, as put so poetically:

Warnings

by David Allen Sullivan

A can of self-defense pepper spray says it may
irritate the eyes, while a bathroom heater says it's
not to be used in bathrooms. [continued at]:
http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/index.php?date=2008/10/13

Horizontal machines with log lifters are still my favorite.

pybyr said:
Warning: In the words of Warren Zevon: Life'll kill ya. Then you'll be dead.

Or, as put so poetically:

Warnings

by David Allen Sullivan

A can of self-defense pepper spray says it may
irritate the eyes, while a bathroom heater says it's
not to be used in bathrooms. [continued at]:
http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/index.php?date=2008/10/13

Well I've been at life for quite some time now and I ain't dead yet.

MasterMech said:

Log lifters are nice but it is one more big expense and one more thing to go wrong.

btw, because of the way my body is, working at the height that is required for splitting horizontally would really be super tough on me. It is just because of some physical problems I have....but I still think vertical is the best route for splitting wood. I really have no problem with the fellow who do split this way but most seem to get a kick out of the kidding. So long as it is just kidding it is great. But then there is Jake....

smokinjay said:
I would like to see the horizontal crowd bust one of my rounds....

Bring it! I'll be your huckleberry.

Backwoods Savage said:
MasterMech said:

Log lifters are nice but it is one more big expense and one more thing to go wrong.

Really plays hell with the cycle time too.

mayhem said:
Backwoods Savage said:
MasterMech said:

Huh?
You can't get your log into splitting position any faster than I can. I am willing to wager on it.

Edit: my lift will place ANY round you can find (lets not be silly with pics of redwoods-K?) on the beam in 3 seconds. I have dealt with rounds that would not move unless it was rolled. If laying flat, bars would have to be used.

Jags said:
mayhem said:
Backwoods Savage said:
MasterMech said:

Huh?
You can't get your log into splitting position any faster than I can. I am willing to wager on it.

Edit: my lift will place ANY round you can find (lets not be silly with pics of redwoods-K?) on the beam in 3 seconds. I have dealt with rounds that would not move unless it was rolled. If laying flat, bars would have to be used.

I've never used a verticle splitter, but I have to agree with this. I've split many pieces that were 30+ inches in diameter, and moving those things when they were flat would have been a huge pain in the butt - literally. I like to split big stuff with my horizontal splitter. Using the log lift, I don't hardly have to do any work. I keep my splitter elevated pretty high so it doesn't bother my back.

Backwoods Savage said:

Isn't there something in the Constitution about the right to bear milk crates???

HollowHill said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Isn't there something in the Constitution about the right to bear milk crates???

No no. You are thinking about the part about all men are crated equal.

Jags said:
mayhem said:
Backwoods Savage said:
MasterMech said:

Huh?

Really? 3 seconds to roll a round onto the lift, lift it and roll it onto the beam? If its moving that fast vertically, how does it not get flung off? I've never even seen a splitter with a log lift, let alone used one so I'm confused about this. That seems like its way too fast. I'd think 8-10 seconds to get from log on the ground to the beam and ready to move the wedge. Clearly I'm mistaken.

mayhem said:
Clearly I'm mistaken.

Maybe, maybe not. I am talking about lift cycle time. I figured getting the log to the splitter should be apples to apples. You place a very large round 3 ft in front of your splitter and I do the same. I bet I am splitting before you. And in fact, I will bet that my log is completely processed faster than yours. 3 seconds is a very comfortable speed. A little less than a ft per second and is fully controllable with start/stop push button that will increment 2 in. at a time.

This is the part about ground pounding that I have never understood (it is not right or wrong, but just a different way, I understand that):

Vertical splitting large rounds requires wedging the log into place, I would assume with bars. My log lift places the round on the beam for an immediate splitter stroke. Half falls to work table, the other half is spun on the beam and dropped into position for the next split. In two movements of the ram I am down to working with 1/4 the original size pieces (at least for that half).

Status
Not open for further replies.