MM for only $1, shipped on Ebay?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well with 20 negative feedback responses they will not be able to sell on ebay.

well with 20 negative feedback responses they will not be able to sell on ebay.
All they have to do is change their name..

i left negative feedback this afternoon. Was only the third person to do it.

The plot thickens.. Here is their response:

Sorry to the unforturn you getting this item from us, we have already return all this product due to tested out techni issuss, we could not send the problem product to our customer, as you know, we don't sell this item in our listing any more, for your special case, would that be fine if we provide a extra 6 dollars to you as compensation that you can buy it from other eBay seller? Hope you could kindly revise your feedback if you agree with me and accept our apologize? Hope you could give me a sympathy for my mistake? Would that be OK with you? Your understanding on this matter would be much appreciated.

Best regards and looking forward to your sincere reply,

Many thanks,

Mei

- digi-bay

Better than what they offered me... nothing lol..

Ray

Hammer'em. We used to move our excess inventory on eBay and ate all of our mistakes no matter what the cost. And some were substantial costs.

I left negative feedback too..

I emailed them back that I believed my feedback to be accurate and a $6 bribe would not get me to change it. However, if they send me the product at the agreed upon price I would happily update my feedback.

Reactions: raybonz
Well, I figure everyone makes mistakes. We all jumped on the offer because we KNEW it was a mistake and we hoped to make out on it. I have NO problem with giving these folks a break. If they are trying to scam us by offering a product at a low price and then pulling it back and offering a discount on more expensive items, then I wouldn't be happy, but I can't know this for certain - and I'm not enough of a sucker to have it matter. It could be some poor worker who did make a simple mistake pricing the item. I suggest we all give them a break - didn't cost us a dime, and we were hoping for something we knew had to be 'too good to be true'. If this is the worst thing that happens to me this year, HOORAY! Cheers!

Which one of you guys bought eight of them?

Ha! That would be me BB - figured I'd resell! Cheers!

the latest:

dear,

Thanks for your kind reply, for your case, I will buy this item for you and send a good quality item to you soon, could you please let us know when can you change your feedback because this feedback has the expired time to revise. Here is an idea, would that be fine if we provide the item's tracking number to you that you can trace your parcel and revise your feedback for us as soon as you can? We can send a feedback revision request to you to change feedback if you agreed.

Looking forward to your prompt reply that we could do it for you soon.

Many thanks,

Mei

- digi-bay

Look what showed up today. Even got a nice little case with it.

UsJ8RrC.jpg

Go over it with a Geiger counter. ;lol

Who is less ethical:
1: One who does not honor their mistaken listing OR
2: Someone who knowingly takes advantage of a mistake in a listing?

Are some of you treating a remote ebay site different than you would a face to face cashier who gives you too much change?

Reactions: ironworker and Boog
Who is less ethical:

Are some of you treating a remote ebay site different than you would a face to face cashier who gives you too much change?

For me I expected that the quoted price would be honored.

Imagine if you wanted to buy a widget. Which you put a value of $1000 on. You search ebay and find a single auction for said widget which ends the next day. You bid on it up to say 500 but are outbid. Before you make another bid you notice a new listing for the same widget with a buy it now price of 100. The seller checks out with good feedback and positive reviews. So you buy the widget for 100 and congratulate yourself for being a smart consumer of widgets.

The other widget sells for 525. No big deal you think you got a better deal. Sure beats paying $1000 on amazon or more locally.

Then you get an email saying the seller won't ship the widget you bought. Perhaps a mistake was made or the seller realized he under priced the market for widgets. It doesn't matter. Now you don't have the widget you needed. And there is no other widgets available. If the seller hadn't posted a buy it now widget you would have continue bidding on the other widget. And maybe bought for 526.

Where does that leave you, the bidder? Having to buy a widget for $1000. How would that make you feel?

When one party refuses to honor an agreement they are the ones who are not being ethical.

I agree.

I was one of those who bought one. Seemed like a fun "let's see if it ever really comes" deal". But afterwards when I started thinking of it, I felt bad about it, because I realized I was trying to take advantage of someone who had in all likelihood made an honest error. Ok its not as bad as, say, having sex with an unconcious date or giving an elderly, impoverished widow $75 for a Vincent Black Shadow, but not a whole lot better either. So I was glad when they immediately refunding my $1.

So it seems to me really pushing to get all riled up about them not sending the goods, far less trying to punish them by giving them them a negative rating, or try to blackmail them with the threat of doing so if they didn't take the loss and send one virtually for free.

I think if there is a guilty party in my transaction with them it was clearly me, for trying to pull a fast one, and take advantage of a deal that I knew was too good to be true.

A lawyer might see it differently, but it seems to me it is more a do-onto-others thing.

Who is less ethical:

Reactions: NH_Wood and Boog
Well it's not like I stole candy from a baby or short changed someone.

I placed an order at the offered price. When the seller canceled the order I left honest and accurate feedback. The seller decided to ship the item. And I changed my feedback. I'd say the free market worked as it should.

If I had left inaccurate feedback because I felt bad for a 'pathetic girl' then where would that have left the next person who buys based on a positive history of feedback?

What was unethical was the seller offering a $6 bribe for me to change my feedback.

I had the same experience as mikefrommaine. Ordered MM, got email from pathetic girl, left honest feedback about bait and switch, was offered product at price I intended to pay, revised my feedback to reflect.

For those of you bemoaning the fact that some of us felt the seller should receive negative feedback for failing to follow through with their obligation (umm... that's the purpose of the ebay feedback system.) I understand your sentiment, that said, don't make it seem like Mike, or I, or anyone else who left them negative feedback did something unethical. They offered a product for sale at a particular price, we agreed to pay it, and then paid it. That is an offer, acceptance, and consideration, the only place that the transaction fell short of a legally binding contract was a "meeting of the minds". The seller clearly intended to sell the item for a higher price (as evidenced by their pathetic girl email), but how was that to be known at the time? It's ebay, stuff sells for crazy cheap, or crazy expensive all the time; it's whatever the market will bear.

We had every right to leave negative feedback if the seller didn't want to follow through with their offer. I have bought hundreds of things on ebay, and honestly this is the first time I've had a seller try and renege on a sale.

I see nothing wrong here, Mike. You were quoted a price, they didn't honor the price, you left feedback for future buyers to beware (that's why there are seller ratings in the first place). When they made it right for you, you made it right for them.

Geesh - lets not get so far left of center we start being some sort of give at all cost. This was by all accounts a complete "bait and switch" and anyone buying the - I'm a dumb girl and I will loose my job - line can send me money for a bridge I am selling.

Ya did just fine getting the meter - no harm, no foul.

Status
Not open for further replies.