MM use question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy S.

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Southeastern, PA
I always check on a fresh split with the grain. I notice about a point difference if I force the prongs into the split rather than simply touch it. Which is correct practice?

I always check on a fresh split with the grain. I notice about a point difference if I force the prongs into the split rather than simply touch it. Which is correct practice?
I jab my meter in a little to give the spikes better contact. From what I have read here you can take a reading on a fresh split and a fresh cut on the ends, where I usually take my readings.

Yes, you need to jab them in a ways, just touching the prongs to the wood won't be accurate.
I've never noticed any difference between checking with the grain and against the grain, but perhaps it might make a difference with some types of wood with pronounced grain.
These types of meters are not really meant to be that accurate. A percentage point one way or the other won't make much difference in the stove. You should think of it more of a mater of ranges. If your meter says your wood is anything less then 20% you are in the ideal burn range and great shape. If it's between 20% and 25% you are probably still in the burn range, but might not be ideal. Anything over 25% you should probably let dry till next year but you might still be able to burn it and get some heat out of it if you need to. Anything over 30% and you should not attempt to burn it. You will have nothing but problems getting a good burn, lousy heating performance, and heavy creosote accumulation in your chimney.

I have a 30.00 meter and because of that I dont put much stock in its read outs. I take readings in multiple areas to get a rough idea. But I do try to keep the prongs within a single growth ring. With and across the top of the round and in the center of a length.
The highest water concentration is usually around the cambium layer and in the sap wood. Heartwood and sapwood usually give 2 completely different readings.
Prongs need to be pushed in but some cheap meters will fail under the pressure necessary for an accurate reading.
To me the meter is a fun gadget just like my cell phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.