Moisture Content - New Chick Learning the Ropes Thanks to YOU!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prishie

Jan 13, 2014
Guilford, Connecticut
Hi! After paying outrageous oil bills and still freezing, I bought a Quadra Fire Cumberland Gap stove. I also bought four tons of Envi Blocks, hoping to augment them with seasoned wood. I ordered two cords of wood at $260/cord delivered that I was told was 'seasoned and stove ready'. When they called to confirm delivery and after reading your posts here, I asked them what the moisture content was and he said 'ABOUT 28%'. I questioned if that was 'stove ready' and he hung up on me. I live in Guilford, CT. Does anyone know of any HONEST wood sellers?
Newbie at this and not feeling the love!! Trish

I think that dealer was ahead of most dealers in that he actually knew the water content of his firewood. Most dealers probably don't even check. The term seasoned and stove ready is subjective. Some people consider any wood split before yesterday to be seasoned and stove ready. If I were you I'd worry about getting a full cord of hardwood at a reasonable price, and assume you'll have to season it yourself.

Reactions: bobdog2o02
There are some, at least this guy answered with 28%. Many people would burn that wood. If you mixed that with your envi blocks they would result in a really nice burn. The VERY low moisture of the blocks will offset the higher moisture of the cord wood.

, I asked them what the moisture content was and he said 'ABOUT 28%'. I questioned if that was 'stove ready' and he hung up on me. I live in Guilford, CT. Does anyone know of any HONEST wood sellers?
Newbie at this and not feeling the love!! Trish
Can you please post his phone number so that we can all call him and ask him the same question. ::-)

Yeah 20 of us will call him and say "My girlfriend called and asked...". ;lol

If you find another dealer with a decent price, i would buy what was needed for two seasons and supplement the envi blocks with the cord wood. I have experience with other pressed blocks and they burn HOT as a result of the low moisture content. The cord wood can really settle them down.

Under 25% will do just fine. Folks here get caught up with wanting bone dry 18% and under stuff. The stoves are tested with 22-25% wood. Keep a hot fire going with that you will be fine. Keep a fire going with half that and half the blocks and you are golden.

What made me ask was learning from you guys. His son answered the call and said the LOGS are seasoned and his Dad splits them once ordered. I read on this site that it's not considered 'seasoned' until it's actually split.

Reactions: bobdog2o02
I'm thinking maybe I should stick with oil!
You wouldn't be alone if you did. But I warn you, that could lead to you losing your membership on this forum. ;)

He probably hung up on you because he knows his wood isn't seasoned and generally only sells to people who are ignorant of what seasoned wood really is. Once you started sounding like you knew what you were talking about he knew the jig was up and there was no point continuing to try and make the sale.

Reactions: Fred Wright
It can't properly "season" until split, stacked and allowed to dry. Wood dealers just cannot afford to keep split, stacked wood around for a year or two for it to properly dry. Especially since they usually can sell all they can get no matter what the moisture content. Why it behooves educated wood burners to stay two or three years ahead so they can insure good fuel.

That is EXACTLY how I felt! At $260/cord I would expect it to be stove ready. I'm so disappointed. Can I burn my Envi Blocks this winter and find an honest wood guy for next? I was SO looking forward to my stove.

That is EXACTLY how I felt! At $260/cord I would expect it to be stove ready. I'm so disappointed. Can I burn my Envi Blocks this winter and find an honest wood guy for next? I was SO looking forward to my stove.

260 in your area sounds kosher depending on the species......

Sounds like you are good to go this year with the Envi Blocks anyway. Wish I had four ton of the suckers here.

I SO want to be cozy by my stove. Would a 28% (at best) be okay with Envi Blocks?

Absolutely!!! but i wouldnt buy from the ass hole that hung up on me.....

If the guy hasn't split it yet he has no idea what the moisture content is. But if you get it and get it stacked in the sun and wind the moisture will go down some every week it sits there if top covered. And if you don't burn it this season it will be there for next season.

Just like with cord wood and a new stove you start with small loads, easy to do in the Fall, and learn how the stove and the fuel loads burn and increase the load based on what you learn.

They ain't gonna split the stove down the middle. Keep them in tight stacks of four at a time to start with.

Just like with cord wood and a new stove you start with small loads, easy to do in the Fall, and learn how the stove and the fuel loads burn and increase the load based on what you learn.

They ain't gonna split the stove down the middle. Keep them in tight stacks of four at a time to start with.

Thanks. I'm hoping I'll look back at these posts and smile while I'm cozy upstairs in my bed, but for now, I think I'll be sleeping down in the great room just to be sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.