Mold on wood???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
I noticed i have the "black Mold" growing on some of my wood... does anyone else get this? should i stop bringing in 3-4 days supply with this stuff on the wood??? it looks like the stuff everyone fears in there house

leave those pieces outside and bring in when you burn.

I have white stuff on some of mine, but its mostly dried up.
I would prolly avoid storing the moldy wood in the house. Bring in and stright into fire. Although mold of that nature I believe needs moister to thrive.

it was kinda scary cause its all dot like like its not the whole thing black but just a bunch of black dots along several piece of wood

The fire will do its work on those several pieces. I always have white stuff, mushrooms and all kinds of stuff growing on the wood. I'm careful handling those pieces and get them burnt quickly. So far, 20 years, no problem. Except for that big black thing on my forehead....just kidding LOL.

yep, me too, that`s why I really opened up my woodshed this spring. knocked out every other board. had some stuff that had been in there 18 months,measured 20% moisture, but didn`t give off great heat. under cover isn`t good enough unless ya really get the air-flow going thru there.

I will now have to wait till the coming winter to see if the greater air-circ. is gonna work. buy sure am hoping so.

Yup needs moisture. I had some black mushroom stuff last year it dried out & burned fine.

Black dot LMFAO.
As long as its on your upper head, your ok ;)
Now I am wondering about those mushrooms.............. hmmm I wonder ;) Grins

This year I have had several pieces that were at the bottom of my stacks with blackish grey mold on them. When my son came across them I just had him put them on our backyard picnic ( AKA utility) table to dry out and then when I have a fire going I toss one in rather than storing it in the house.

I have had some pieces stored in the house with small patches of mold on them but longest they stay in our house is 3 days. Our environment is dry here so I don't much worry about it and haven't had any problems. I just make sure I wash my hands after handling the wood. I'd worry more if I lived somewhere damp but here in Colorado grapes will practically turn into raisins overnight if left on a counter. ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.