1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

more newbe questions

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by shocker, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shocker

shocker New Member

Loc:
    Edmonton Alberta
    ive done a search but couldnt find my answer. On a non pressurized wood boiler system, what is the ideal water temperature which will not kill my pump and not burn up all my wood. I have mine set at 140 but find it seems a little low when it hit -25c this weekend, should i raise the boiler temp?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Clarkbug

Clarkbug Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I would say the "ideal" temperature is going to change based upon what you have for heat emitters and what the outdoor air temperatures are, since that will impact your heat loss.

Do you have a mixing/tempering valve on your supply to the house, or are you sending out 140 degree water all the time? If you have baseboards, thats just about the minimum you can run, but I would certainly want to raise it up for a -25c day. I would say that for the cold days you can go up to 180, but that will depend on what your storage is made of, and if it can take those temps.

Your pumps can handle the heat no problem.
  3. shocker

shocker New Member

Loc:
    Edmonton Alberta
    i am running a coil in a furnace, the wood boiler has a capacity of 300 gal and the pump circulates through the coil non stop with no zone valves or mixing valves. I will try bumping up the temp and see if that helps increase the air temp from the coil. On days of -10c the temp works very well, just need to know what i can and cannot do as far as temp goes. thanx for the help
  4. Clarkbug

Clarkbug Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    If you can run 140 when its -10, go ahead and bump it up to 150 and see how that treats you. If its still a little bit chilly, go a little more. Keep playing until you are comfy. Your pump will be rated to handle the heat fine, so no worries there.
  5. shocker

shocker New Member

Loc:
    Edmonton Alberta
    thanx for the help
  6. jebatty

jebatty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MN
    A good way to not burn up all your wood and provide high temperature water to your system is with a gasification boiler. Lots of info from owners on this forum of the +/- of the various brands based on experience.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.