More on hybrid popple Pictures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Here are a few pictures from our little stand of hybrid popple that we tested a long time ago.

1. They were not as fast growing as claimed but then we have very poor soil so that might account for the slow growth.

2. They grow way too many brances.

3. Roots tend to grow partially out of the ground making for bad conditions in the area.

4. They make poor firewood. Full of sap when cut and extremely light when dry. Like burning punk.

5. They stink like crazy when cut. This is why we never burned any in a stove. Only burning has been on a brush pile.

6. Worst of all is they are very weak. They get weak spots and then part of the tree just falls over.

7. A point was made about no benefit to wildlife but I do not agree. This is their only benefit that I can see. Lots of places for birds and squirrels to hide in the tree. Makes excellent cover for deer to bed.

This shows some odd growth but even more, it shows what the weak spots look like. Most weak spots are higher up and the top just falls over. Do not go near on a windy day!
Popple-1.gif

Shows weak spots high and low.
Popple-2.gif

This one won't last much longer.
Popple-3.gif

Nice mess here. But, you can see one of our wood piles on the opposite side. That is wood cut during winter of 2009-2010.
Popple-4.gif

Very typical weak spot.
Popple-5-1.gif

Thoese popples look like a big mess. I couldnt emagine the mess i would have made for myself if i planted a forest of those. I will still plant a few to get a quik tree row to protect my little trees from a harsh north wind. And cut them down when my little tress are more establishd. Thanks for the pics big help to me.

Cory, have you considered some Lombardy Poplar?

I planted quite a few hybred Poplar about 15 years ago.
Most got pretty large, 24" plus in diameter...then they died.
They do stink, much like a Cottonwood tree, which I believe they are bred from.

I also planted a lrage number of hybred Willows.
Really cool, pretty trees, they get big too!

The wood smells slightly sweet, and burns nice, though short, just not much there when dry.

Rob

Dennis im not to sure what to think about poplars any more. Would the Lombardy Poplar be any better? Also i found a web site that describes what i wanted to do. http://www.hybridpoplars.com/heat.htm But i would have a lot more work ahead of me so i think avoiding this idea is the way to go.

Man those are ugly!

Cory,

I planted both Poplars and Willows.

The Poplars branch out much more than the willows, and are more work to cut down/clean up.

I just got done cutting down 85 Willows that had gotten out of hand and were starting to die off.
This picture shows a few of the 70-80 foot tall Willows still waiting to come down.

93536ef2470c53845172472b3b1c0550b56d8fd4.jpg

This is about 85 trees ready for the chipper.

ad826d24a851957f4643a503ca21cbf8dfbfc2a0.jpg

Seems about 15 years is the realistic lifespan. I recall the brochures claiming 25.
They might live that long, but having 70-80 foot trees with 20'+ dead tops = very dangerous spears.

I cut several willows last year and cut and split a cord and a half. I'm burning it now.
Nice wood, smells good, and is easy to handle.
If a person followed the plan in the link you posted, and stayed on top of cutting/maintaining the grove, it could work, but I'd choose Willow over Poplar.

Rob

Gary_602z said:
Dennis it still looks like btu's to me! Plus it splits nice.

Gary

Any time you wish, you are welcome to come and take all of them for your use.

Rob
Those willows look alot more manageable. I'll have to try a few of those. Thanks for the info

cory said:
Dennis im not to sure what to think about poplars any more. Would the Lombardy Poplar be any better? Also i found a web site that describes what i wanted to do. http://www.hybridpoplars.com/heat.htm But i would have a lot more work ahead of me so i think avoiding this idea is the way to go.

Cory, sorry I missed the above post by you. The Lombardy have been used for years for borders. Even some of the muck farms that usually have willow went to the Lombardy poplars. I've seen people line their entire property with them and it looks nice.

Google the Lombardy poplar and then click on Images for some great pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.