more rookie burn questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostock

Oct 27, 2010
Sharpsburg Maryland
1> stove top temps: When is see reference to a "hot" burn, are we talkin 600*? More? i know every stove is different, just looking for a general ballpark. Can i run a steady 600* without hurting the stove? (jotul f3 )

2> raking coals: i don't like to move them unless it's related to new load placement. I see here, 'raking them forward' is standard. can someone explain - (is that simply because of the air inlet being in the front of the fire box?)

3>no question here, just a thanks to everyone, what a wealth you all provide. I am a total addict! last night got my first overnight burn and my wife thinks i'm crazy for being so excited about it. Loaded 2 large splits (quarter-round) face down on the coal bed at 11:15, dialed it down over the course of 30 min, had embers and started a fire at 7:15 this morning. 8hrs on a little stove!

Those little F3's are thoroughbreds that like to run. 600F seems pretty common.

Raking the coals is probably something that you will get familiar with. The small firebox in the F3 can fill with coals pretty quick. If you have the need to burn the coal bed down for more splits, you rake the coals towards the air intake and open the primary air wide open. Adding a small split or two at this point can accelerate the coal burn.

Yes . . . for most stoves.

Yes . . . helps to burn down the coals.

No problem . . . it's all part of giving back since I received a ton of help when I first started out.

600 is hot but definitely not an overburn with most new stoves. I usually will run mine between 400-500.

Raking the coals is HUGE. Otherwise you have to clean out a bunch of black coals instead of white ash. You get a ton of heat from it too. Think of it like a blast furnace - you are just moving the coals to where they can get the oxygen to finish combustion.

Love burning and heating with Wood! Have fun!

600 feels good in the winter months. It not over firing. We get nervous when we start approaching 700 but have been above that a few times with no problem other than it did concentrate our attention a bit for a short time.

Enjoy that stove and the heat it gives.

good to know, i appreciate all the input. Stove likes to 'tink-tink' a little once it gets into the low 500's. Not really worried about it at that point, but i think it's probably a good idea to pay attention to that chatter sometimes

You are correct. The heating of the flue will cause some expanding but sometimes that tink, tink you hear could be creosote falling. That is just a wake-up call to you to watch the chimney! It also is a reminder that your fuel is not quite up to par. Once you have good dry wood you will rarely hear those sounds. On ours, we do start hearing it just faintly, but on a lower pitch, when the flue temperature is over 500 (measured on the outside of single-wall pipe). One has to listen closely for it but usually once it hits 500 I am then turning down the draft and engaging the cat. If not a cat stove, you still turn down and the secondary light show should be visible. Looks sort of like the Pits of Hell sometimes but it sure gives off a lot of heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.