Morning surprise from the 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
While stoking the morning load, I failed to notice that one of the door hinge pegs had backed out of its hole.

So, got a full load of hickory in... and the door fell off CLANG!!!!

Thank heaven the glass didn't break. Took me and Mrs. Blue almost 30 minutes to get it back on!

Reactions: gyrfalcon
aww crap! okies, when you next have the stove cold , pull the hinge pins one at a time and dip in powdered graphite then work them in and out of the hinges a bit to rub the graphite around in there , should fix the thing from doing it again

aww crap! okies, when you next have the stove cold , pull the hinge pins one at a time and dip in powdered graphite then work them in and out of the hinges a bit to rub the graphite around in there , should fix the thing from doing it again

Yeah, I knew I should've lubed them over the summer. Was always on my round-tuit list, you know?

I've got hi-temp moly engine lube that should do nicely as well.
Oh, and in the event it sounded like I was griping about my 30, I'm not. Thanks for the support, Mike!!

The humor was in the one-armed guy and the vision-impaired Mrs. Blue juggling the (quite hot AND heavy) door trying to line the pins up to tap them back in, with the fire burning merrily, all at 6:30am. Would've been better if Yakety Sax had been playing in the background.

Last edited:
Yeah, I knew I should've lubed them over the summer. Was always on my round-tuit list, you know?

I've got hi-temp moly engine lube that should do nicely as well.
Oh, and in the event it sounded like I was griping about my 30, I'm not. Thanks for the support!!

no worries BD and yeah moly will work as well, just not as easy to find if you dont already have some.

happy thanksgiving my friend!

Hinges are different on the Osburn (pins appear to be an integral part of the bottom half of the hinge). When I last had the door off (changing the gasket) I did as stoveguy suggests, used some powdered graphite on the exposed pin before putting the door back on. The door used to have a bit of a squeak which was pretty annoying during the early morning reloads (otherwise dead silence in the place). Graphite powder so far has solved the sueak issue, and also fixed a stick air damper (put some graphite on it last year, still gliding smooth).

Sorry this is a bit off track, glad you guys are ok. That would have freaked me out, especially with the big angled bay door + a ton of glass on the 2200. Not sure I would have had much of a door left to put back on

Status
Not open for further replies.