Morso 3610 cracking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wouldheat

Aug 4, 2015
Colorado
Hi, new here but a long time wood burner.

I'm posting today because my Morso 3610 is cracking.
I noticed the crack in the top plate when I was cleaning the stove earlier this summer. It is about a three inch crack starting from the pipe hole and working towards the front of the stove.
I brought a picture to the store I purchased the stove from, 4 years ago, and they contacted Morso and Morso sent a new top plate. When the repairman started taking the stove apart to replace the top he notice that the large back panel and the smaller one that fits on it also have cracks.

One possibility:
So now, even if Morso supplies the parts, I am looking at a ton of labor cost to get the stove back in order. I do not think their warranty covers labor. Probably over $1000 to get the stove apart and back together.

Another Possibility:
If Morso says I over-fired the stove because some of the thin steel parts are slightly bent they would not cover even the parts. I have not over-fired the stove and even their warranty says the thin parts are essentially consumable and not covered by warranty.

Third Possibility:
Morso either pays for the labor or just replaces the stove based on the fact that three of the cast panels have cracks. I imagine they could interested in seeing it since this does not seem typical. I have a neighbor with the same stove and their house sitter once over-fired it to the point of distorting some internal cast pieces yet theirs is not cracked. I have to believe I got a bad stove since I researched this stove and company and they seem to have a good reputation.

Obviously I would prefer the third option.
I guess the question is if I should pay to have the stove repaired and risk it failing again after another four years of normal use?

I love the look of the stove, the left door, the fire box size (I cut my wood to 20"), and it's ease of use.
I don't love the front doors and it's ash drawers.

If I can't get this resolved in a favorable way it looks like I might be stove shopping.

IMG_3945.jpg sample03.jpg

We sell Morso at the store I work at, over 10 years and I have never seen a Morso crack like that. Granted we sell Jotul as our Primary cast stove, its more of the New England look, but we sell probably 20-30 Morsos' a year. I'd think it is normal for them to provide replacement parts, but not labor. Labor for most companies are a small amount (40-60 dollars a warranty claim), but after 4 years, I'd doubt it. Having said that, do you still like the 3610?? If so, she's worth fixing. Hopefully you are keeping her around 350-600 degrees stove top temp or so and not trying to heat a bajillion sqft, Here in NE, she's good for about 1500-1800 sqft. (2.1 cuft firebox I believe) Morsos' do offer a unique look. Take care

$1,000 seems high to have the stove repaired. If Morso won't replace the stove, but the parts only, you should get estimates from multiple dealers to do the work.

Yes I still like the stove in regards to looks and heating ability. Average temp would be well below 600. In reading the boards here the Jotul Oslo seems to be close in size and capabilities but is also cast. I wondering about trying a plate steel stove if I decide to switch.

We sell Morso at the store I work at, over 10 years and I have never seen a Morso crack like that. Granted we sell Jotul as our Primary cast stove, its more of the New England look, but we sell probably 20-30 Morsos' a year. I'd think it is normal for them to provide replacement parts, but not labor. Labor for most companies are a small amount (40-60 dollars a warranty claim), but after 4 years, I'd doubt it. Having said that, do you still like the 3610?? If so, she's worth fixing. Hopefully you are keeping her around 350-600 degrees stove top temp or so and not trying to heat a bajillion sqft, Here in NE, she's good for about 1500-1800 sqft. (2.1 cuft firebox I believe) Morsos' do offer a unique look. Take care

The dealer I purchased from charges $129 for the first hour and $85/hr after that. The repair will involve dismantling most of the stove and also supporting the chimney. I imagine a day, so maybe closer to $600.

My repair guy did not have any kind of shop manual for the stove, we were basically working of the parts diagram to figure out what had to come apart.

$1,000 seems high to have the stove repaired. If Morso won't replace the stove, but the parts only, you should get estimates from multiple dealers to do the work.

Jotul's Oslo is a similar stove to what you have, a single front door vice two. Its quite capable as a heater too and its firebox is a bit bigger (2.5 vs 2.1 cuft). If yours can be fixed for a quarter cost of a new Oslo or 3610, sounds like that would be a good plan.

Just heard from the Stove shop, parts are on the way. As of now Morso is telling the shop they will reimburse $45 for the service call. They must have some amazing stove techs at the corporate level if they think you can replace three major stove panels in $45 worth of man-hours.

Well got two panels replaced but Morso sent a wrong panel, it was for a different stove, so now I'm waiting for the final piece to come from Denmark. The stove store ordered the correct piece and they were able to install the other two so the final piece should go in smoothly.

Status
Not open for further replies.