Most distance you have traveled to pick up a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Drove 65 miles one way to Clyde NC to pickup a Baby Bear Fisher one time. At the time it was ok but felt like I gave to much for it. Got most of my money back out of it.>>

Drove about 2.5 hours to CT to pick up my Oslo, was a dealksy tho, Never installed "Used" Oslo, basically brand new, for about 60% the original cost.

Well here it is never assembled and 300 bucks! freedom.jpg

My dealer sells the freedom insert for $2500. That was a steal for a never used freedom

Yes I thought it was worth the 9 hour drive I had yesterday!
The firebox seems a lot bigger than the revere I am running now.

I drove from central PA to eastern Kentucky around 7 years ago to get an antique 1904 Home Comfort cookstove.......that was a long, long trip for that old thing. I had planned on putting it on our kitchen hearth as a decoration or possibly doing a restoration on it to make it functional, but that soon changed into putting a good, economical EPA woodstove in there because the heating costs skyrocketed at the time.....

I have that stove for sale now, in the classified section of this forum.......any one want it?;)

so my question now is did you all travel these distances without ever seeing in person the model of stove you drove to Buy?

Reactions: ScotO
The most we have gone is 50 miles each way.

I won't go to far because I want to see what I am buying.

Pete

Just remember after its installed to get some pictures of it burning. We all like pictures==c

so my question now is did you all travel these distances without ever seeing in person the model of stove you drove to Buy?
Some yes, some no.

The Mansfield I had them send over a dozen photos. Which, in the end did not matter, as the owner decided to beat the hell out of the stove after I agreed to drive all the way to the Poconos. All the stones in the back of the stove were cracked.

The Encore was in Maryland. Owner sent me a bunch of photos. The stove ended up being 10x better looking in person.

The Defiant I only had one photo to go by. The photo looked decent and the price was worth the gamble.

I had limited info on the Heritage before I drove to New Hampshire. The stove was in like-new condition.

The Vigilant was local enough to not matter.

Had 3 pictures and the description from the owner. Had never seen that model in person, but had seen the next smallest and biggest in showrooms. I had also never seen the color of this one in person.

They knew if I didn't like it's condition I would drive home with an empty trailer. It looked way better in person than the pictures showed. Love the color, though I would rather not have an enameled stove.

I did. Only saw pictures of the Fireview. My wife picked a custom color that we couldn't see either.

239 miles,4 hrs 20 min's to Woodstock.

Westchester NY to Woodstock in NH and back. About 250 miles each way. We made a little vacation out of it and stayed 2 nights in Quichee, VT.
We stayed there also and then stopped in the little Scottish shop just down the road.Quichee,sorry!

40 miles to buy a VC defiant encore..came with a free dozen farm raised eggs!
35 miles to purchase a pacific energy summit...in a snow storm! It was on craigslist and was a great deal. That was an adventure....especially loading in into my suv with just the wife. The seller said he would have plenty of help around to load it...yea right.

Well, I figured I'd bring this thread back to the top...

...and to rub salt into the wounds of a few ;)

...drove from Minnesota to Kansas to buy a blaze king king with class a pipe 1000 bucks. Had to do it! 6.5 hrs each way.

The farmer I bought it from was a good bloke and asked, don't they have stoves up in Minnesota?

Then he told me a story about two crazy Alaskans who drove all the way down to Kansas to pick up two hay implements. One of them was self propelled and they drove it all the way back at 40 mph!

Reactions: ScotO and webby3650
....pick of the new stove...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 117
Drove about 100 miles to Wood's Hole, MA to catch the ferry to Martha's Vineyard. Drove about 3 miles to get the PF 100 furnace on MV. Drove back to the beach and spent the day. Drove back to the ferry landing. Caught the ferry and then drove home 100 miles. All in a rented UHaul pickup.

That ferry trip to and from MV is a pricey one, usually about $100.00 for roundtrip tickets. That must have been a good deal on that furnace.
The whole trip cost me $500 for the truck/gas/ferry. I got the brand new furnace for $2250. At that time the price was pretty close to $6,000. VERY worth the trip.

I went out of my way to get the 30-NC here. I had to move it all of a few feet off the pallet onto the hearth. Free shipping across one threshold and I talked the freight delivery guys into setting it next to the hearth on the shipping pallet in the living room. But that would be the shortest distance...

Longest I went to get a stove was with my ex in her 3/4 ton to get a CB OWB (yes, the evil dark side of stoves!) that we installed at her place. That was 70 miles each way. Fun trip though, we got to stop at our favorite fast food place to get hazelnut chocolate milk shakes on the way there, and again on the way back. The real fun with that boiler was getting it off the truck and onto the concrete pad I had poured for it. We hired a guy with a backhoe to do the job, but his left side hydrolics were out and he was able to clear the truck rails by only a half inch.

I had 2 stoves delivered right to my door. Like Pet -Meds Free delivery so hey,whats not to like.

Status
Not open for further replies.