mother-in-laws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

How many time do I have to explain the problem with ash door being open?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• once every time she visits.

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsquini

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2009
North Shore, MA
I find that wood burning and mother-in-laws do not work well together. It's 50° outside and the house is hovering around 80°. The primary air intake it's closed and the ash door is open.

Mom, you break it, you buy it.

I would still trade you M-I-L's Mine is a wicked, wicked woman whom's sole goal in life is to make mine hell.

Count your blessings, it could be worse!

I'm not worried of the stove breaking more than I'm afraid that the house will burn down with her in it.

My Mother- in- law asked me to call her mom

M= mean
O=old
M=mother in law

Wish the old doll was still around!!

Thats my story and I'm stickin to it

Reactions: tsquini
I lucked out. My MIL was like a second mother. She had a great sense of humor and outlook on life. I miss her.

It was the father-in-law that spent days while I was at work finding the wettest wood out in the snow to shove in my stove because it "burned longer". Chimney was a real mess. Completely plugged with ash and sote.

But since they were here in the middle of winter taking care of my wife after a car wreck ya smile, give them money to go have a nice dinner and change clothes and head for the roof with a brush.

Reactions: mtbmike
It was the father-in-law that spent days while I was at work finding the wettest wood out in the snow to shove in my stove because it "burned longer". Chimney was a real mess. Completely plugged with ash and sote.

But since they were here in the middle of winter taking care of my wife after a car wreck ya smile, give them money to go have a nice dinner and change clothes and head for the roof with a brush.

I bet your FIL nowadays says, "yup, my SIL is retired and runs some kind of wood forum on the internet, ya know. He's doing alright-never said just how much he pulls in-but he's doing alright. Don't think there's anything about wood burning that he doesn't know!"

Reactions: BrotherBart
I'm with be green. Both my in-laws are great people. If I didn't like them if have to consider do I really want to marry someone raised by these people? Of course, sometimes the answer is yes, but the apple rarely calls far from the tree.

My MIL is wonderful in a lot of ways. When it comes to operating the stove properly, not so much. I'm lost when it comes to explaining how to operate the stove. I want to lock it up for her own safety.

my inlaws are good people, the do not have much, so I did a gut to stud remodel of their kitchen on my dime. MIL response was there is dust all over my house. FIL just chuckled.

In laws are annoying at times, but like BB said you grin and bare it. They are both good at heart, and there is nothing they wouldn't do for us.

So to answer OP's question........it depends. If they are good as gold and would do anything for you, just keep reminding her and remember that this isn't the norm for her.

I was always told to look at the mom of any girl you're dating, since that's what she's going to turn into. When I first met my MIL, she was sitting poolside in a bathing suit, looking almost dangerously nice for a woman of her age. A wonderful lady, all around.

Then I learned my wife was adopted...

LOL My MIL was always a heavy-set woman. She weighed almost twice what my wife weighs now at the same age.

It took seventy years, but I am seeing traces of the MIL showing up. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.