1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Moving a lot of wood

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by mtneer, Jul 22, 2013.

1. mtneer

mtneer Member

Loc:
    huntington, wv
    I was wondering if anyone here had experience moving their stacks between homes and what vehicle they used. I'm moving about 40 minutes away and I need to take about 10 c/s/s cords with me. No way am I leaving much of this for the next owners due to the amount of work put into it. I think a coal truck would be great if I can rent one.

I'll have to post about the stove in the new home. It's an old Squire insert that's hooked right up to the central furnace to distribute heated air throughout the house. The guy studied the new EPA designs and welded in secondary tubes and a firebrick baffle system. Really slick. Can't wait to test drive it.
    ScotO likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pyroholic

pyroholic Member

Loc:
    Mid-Michigan
    Bobcat and dump truck
  3. aansorge

aansorge Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Minnesota
    albert1029 and Trilifter7 like this.
  4. paul bunion

paul bunion Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NJ
    See if you can get a roll off dumpster, preferably a clean one. Work a deal with the operator since it isnt going to the dump.
  5. swagler85

swagler85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I'm in the middle of moving my stacks. Moved 9 cord so far, but that was the easy half. The first round was on pallet racks, I loaded on the trailer with a tractor and unloaded with a bobcat. What is left is the stacks that aren't in racks. Planning on just throwing those splits in my box trailer and hauling them over.

Attached Files:

Trilifter7 likes this.
  6. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    Man swag, I like that old tractor. That will pull most anything.
  7. Applesister

Applesister Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Call a local excavating company who has a loader and a triaxle dump truck. It can all be done in one afternoon. No fuss no muss. It may cost 500.00 or so but you wont have to handle it. A local business may make you a deal. All my wood comes off my farm so its free to me. If I had to move it I would do this, if I was moving.
  8. Applesister

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I would love to see your fork setup for your old tractor. That IS a worthwhile post!
    My father made a homemade one but its way too heavy duty for some of our older tractors.
  9. swagler85

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I will get a close up picture of it for you when I can get over there. Its still at my old house for a few more days until I get the rest of my stuff moved.
    It is a set of forks from an actual fork lift boom. I almost bought a cheaper set from tractor supply but man am I glad I didn't. This set is great, the forks pivot so if I don't have the perfect angle they still work.
    Applesister likes this.
  10. Applesister

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Oh, I like your nuts picture. Hickory or butternut?
  11. Applesister

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Yes thanks!! I know you guys sound busy. I'll remember if you forget.
  12. mtneer

mtneer Member

Loc:
    huntington, wv
    Thanks for the help everyone. A friend of a friend works for a contractor so maybe I can get something on the cheap. Now I just need to figure out where to stack all the wood on my mostly hilly new property.

There's a joke here but I won't go there. Hickory ==c
    ScotO, Applesister and swagler85 like this.
  13. swagler85

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Here you go sister, forks that were converted to a three point attachment.

Attached Files:

ScotO, Clarkbug and Applesister like this.
  14. Applesister

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    A double entendre? lol Its still a great picture even if I was smirking.
  15. Applesister

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Thanks so much for the pics. I devoured every pixel. Im glad I saw the pics of the MF135 too. A friend almost got one in a trade and he said it came with a loader on it. Always handy. I was really curious about that model.
    I scrutinized the 3pt hitch connections. Bolts to the drawbar. Did you add like stabilizer arms to the bottom lift arms? Or is that how the 135 is set up?
    Great way to move wood.
  16. swagler85

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    yes I love that thing for moving firewood, I did learn to not use large skids as they tend to get a little too heavy. The normal 42" skids are about perfect.
    The bolts on the drawbar are connected to brackets on what used to be the mast on the towmotor. The Stabilizer arm is separate from the bottom lift arm, and it really helps those skids from shifting sideways.
    Applesister likes this.
  17. Applesister

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Okay, yeah those arms do swing back and forth. Well you got yourself a great implement there, maybe a Patent if it was your idea? Or even if it wasnt your idea. Thanks for sharing. Handy dandy farm devises!
    My dad made one and its too heavy in its own right. But we use it for apple crates. Overkill apple bin lifter.
  18. Clarkbug

Clarkbug Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Do you happen to know what those forks are originally off of?

Might be able to convince my DW that this is a labor saver and get some new toys..... (at the expense of selling some old toys :( )
  19. swagler85

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    They came off of a boom on a tow motor. Aka forklift
  20. Clarkbug

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Ahh, OK. I just wasnt sure what actual forklift they were from, since it looks like it wasnt too bad of a bolt-up. Thats a pretty sweet setup.

Considering getting something like that and making some pallet U's to put firewood in, might save me from having to stack-move-restack....
    swagler85 likes this.
  21. swagler85

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    That is exactly what I do and it saves a ton of time
    I built bith the pallet U and a pallet rack. Like the U better now
  22. Clarkbug

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I like the 135, also considering a MF 202 (which is an industrial MF35), which should do the trick nicely, I would hope.

If/when I ever get there Ill have to post some pics!
  23. Coog

Coog Member

Loc:
    North West Illinois
    Yep, the old MF 135. Grew up with one of those. Clutch driven PTO. Always ran the PTO tiller for the garden and farm. That thing used to get so hot it would throw flames from the tail pipe. We had a January night once when we lost power; colder than sh$$. The old fergie was the only thing that would start. Ran the PTO generator just fine for hours.

Sure loved that tractor.
    swagler85 likes this.