Moving Air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mlthyne

Dec 1, 2022
New Hampshire
I know this has been discussed a 1000 times but I am lost and can't move air!!!

Possible to look at my pictures and tell me how to get air to the back room.

The room with the stove has cathedral ceilings and the fan is currently set to winter mode. This room is currently 70 degrees.

The backroom is is currently at 62 degrees. There is a ceiling fan set to winter mode and the ceilings are vaulted.

I also purchased an in wall fan to move colder air from the back room to the main stove room. This seems to have little impact.

Thanks

Leo

20221201_194644.jpg 20221201_194637.jpg 20221201_194629.jpg 20221201_194618.jpg

It's going to be a challenge. At 70º the stove room is not too hot. The back room has a lot of windows and a high peaked ceiling. It could almost use its own stove. You could try moving a larger volume of air than that wall fan is capable of. Do you have a 20" box fan? If so, try placing it about 6' into the cold room on the floor and run it on medium speed, blowing the cool room air into the stove room.

What insert/stove is in the fireplace? How many sq ft is it heating?

Reactions: mattie5960
Thank you for the response. So the fan I installed in the wall was a waste of money? I'm gonna hate to tell the wife she was right!!!

I do have a box fan and will give this a try tomorrow

Room is at 70 because I throttle the stove output. If I don't, that room will get 75 plus and sweat us out. Seems like the air gets stuck in this room.

Vermont Castings Encore 2040 heating approx 2000 square

Thank you for the response. So the fan I installed in the wall was a waste of money? I'm gonna hate to tell the wife she was right!!!

I do have a box fan and will give this a try tomorrow

Vermont Castings Encore 2040 heating approx 2000 square
It's a challenging situation due to the house design. Is the Encore burning with about a 650º stovetop?

But at 70 F, farther rooms necessarily will be at temperature lower than 70 F.
If one wants the farther rooms at 70 (one needs to have good flow and) one needs the stove room warmer.

This is the problem of stoves being space heaters. Temperature gradients will be present.

Reactions: mlthyne
I run my fan counter-clockwise in the cold, that way it goes up ceiling, grabs the heat and comes down the walls, this give a much more even heat and not as drafty, so play with that, it's different I know but works better for me. I put a portable oil-filled heater for the back back room to just take the edge off and that works good too. Also, get out the IR gun and some incense and figure out the air flow/leak and let natural do the work.

I'm averaging 400 to 700. Really depends on the day and the weather outside.
Take the stove room up to at least 75º and use the box fan in the other room to cool it down by blowing cooler air from the back room into the stove room.

Excellent. That's a big improvement.

Is the mini-split in the back room a heatpump or just AC?

Thanks for the reply everyone. Today I added the fan to the back room and walla. Stove Room = 70 / Back Room = 68

Now to convince the wife she enjoys fans on the floor and not 1200 dollar monthly oil bills :)

View attachment 304370
i have a tower fan i use for such instances, summer and winter. Takes up less floor space and looks better, and quieter. Warmth and saving money trumps fashion IMO

Reactions: stoveliker
You don't want powerful. You want slow (and constant). Avoid mixing the cold air there but pump it out of the room.

Then warm air will stream in, necessarily.

Count me as another vote for a tower fan at lowest speed. In my case, I think that high speeds disrupted the convection loops in the room, causing worse results than no fan at all. Tower fan at lowest speed blowing cold air into the stove room worked wonders.

TE

Beautiful room

Count me as another vote for a tower fan at lowest speed. In my case, I think that high speeds disrupted the convection loops in the room, causing worse results than no fan at all. Tower fan at lowest speed blowing cold air into the stove room worked wonders.

TE
Same placement - 6 to 12 inches from the doorway?
Is it too cold for the heat pump to heat this room?
It's not to cold. I'm just cheap and hate to pay eversorce for electricity :)

Take the stove room up to at least 75º and use the box fan in the other room to cool it down by blowing cooler air from the back room into the stove room.
This is what i do. I have a box fan at the end of the hall that shoots the cooler air right at the stove. I also use ceiling fan.

Thank you

the encore 2040 is a great heater.. is it the 2040 or 2040c cat. I have the 2040 stove. just like you I hate to pay any energy bill.. there for im completely solar and 100% wood heat.. my only utility bill is natural gas at an average of 12 bucks per month... the only reason I pay for nature gas is, I haven't figured out how to extract it from my property yet...

the encore 2040 is a great heater.. is it the 2040 or 2040c cat. I have the 2040 stove. just like you I hate to pay any energy bill.. there for im completely solar and 100% wood heat.. my only utility bill is natural gas at an average of 12 bucks per month... the only reason I pay for nature gas is, I haven't figured out how to extract it from my property yet...
Good work becoming energy independent .... I started this journey two years ago when the first winter we experienced in this house and the oil tank was being filled at 700 bucks a month (and the house was kept at 65 - huge sticker shock coming from natural gas)

We installed the wood stove which is a 2040C and we burn between 5 and 7 cords a year. We too decided on solar, install started yesterday with hopes of 28 panels covering 95 percent of of electric bill. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: stoveliker
Good work becoming energy independent .... I started this journey two years ago when the first winter we experienced in this house and the oil tank was being filled at 700 bucks a month (and the house was kept at 65 - huge sticker shock coming from natural gas)

We installed the wood stove which is a 2040C and we burn between 5 and 7 cords a year. We too decided on solar, install started yesterday with hopes of 28 panels covering 95 percent of of electric bill. Fingers crossed.

sweet.. solar was such a great investment.. I have 100% coverage I pay like 10 bucks per month to be grid tied. Im well and septic so I have no water or sewer bill neither

That's a fair amount of wood for heating. Do you cut, split, and stack your own firewood?
Kudos to the solar project. It will make running the mini-split a lot more palatable.