MT Vernon Gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caribfan

Feb 4, 2012
Southern Maine
There have been posts on here in the past about making your own gaskets with a sheet of Lytherm(?). I have ordered an exhaust blower gasket for my Mt Vernon AE to use as a pattern. Although I seem to have found it for a reasonable price of $22.95 (comparatively speaking), it still seems a little expensive to me. Does anyone know what thickness of Lytherm to order - 1/4" or 1/8"? Is lytherm the best material? I have read on other blogs that people who have made their own gaskets have experienced "hot odors" when the stove was running on high temps.

That is the one I ordered. Found it at Black Swan Stove Shop online for $20+shipping. I was just afraid that it wouldn't be as "reuseable" as advertised so I figured I would make a template and have extras on hand at a much cheaper price. With my daughter now in college, the scales that measure cost vs convenience have tipped in the other direction. I'm afraid I'll the living vicariously through my avatar for quite a while.

Great information - I don't understand why Quadra Fire doesn't use a reusable oem gasket. I know, I know, it forces you to go to your dealer and buy a ridiculously priced factory one. Disappointing.

Any tips on checking out a Mt.vernon stove that's five years old. One for sale for 1k. Going to check it over this weekend. It's still installed and able to be fired. Looking for parents as their countryside is being a pain in my ash.

Any tips on checking out a Mt.vernon stove that's five years old. One for sale for 1k. Going to check it over this weekend. It's still installed and able to be fired. Looking for parents as their countryside is being a pain in my ash.

If I were checking it out, I would unplug it and plug it back in to trigger the autoclean. It should function smoothly and quietly. Then I'd ask to see any repair records and parts purchases. This will help in determining dependability. I'd ask how many tons of pellets they put through it each heating season. Next, I'd ask them to fire it up and let it burn for a while - is the flame lazy? Is the blower noisy? I'd also ask for the serial number so I could check with the local Quadrafire dealer to see if the software is of a current version. By the way, how close is the dealer? Are there technicians in the area who can make repairs? Finally, the Mt Vernon stove takes some attention, e.g., regular cleanings, etc. - probably more than some other brands. Are your parents able to get down and do those cleanings? One more thing - the Mt Vernon is programmable through the thermostat - can they do that? It might be worthwhile to have a technician to come in and program it (probably never have a need to change the program). Just my thoughts - hope it helps.

I can do the usual cleanings programming etc, I am tired of the worn out countryside with it needing a major overhaul and daily tending and it being so uncontrollable. I have several other stoves that have the temp controls. Just looking at trying to find the weak spots:), of a nice looking stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.