1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

mt vernon pelltet stove not firing up

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by pelletpoor, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pelletpoor

pelletpoor New Member

Loc:
    upstate new york
    My Mt. Vernon stove is acting odd. The pellets drop and ignite, but the flame fails to reach its normal height and I'm not hearing the louder fan which kicks on when ignition has been reached. Could this be a bad convection blower? A fan does come on when I first start the stove but is this just the exhaust fan?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. imacman

imacman Guest

The exhaust fan always comes on first, and then after the stove gets up to temp ( I think it's about 120 degrees, a thermal switch turns on the convection blower.

After the fire runs for a few minutes, do you feel any hot air coming out the front at all?
  3. pelletpoor

pelletpoor New Member

Loc:
    upstate new york
    Very little, also while the fire is burning larger than usual sparks were coming out of the fire pot. After a few minutes like this (maybe 10) the stove just shut down.
  4. JoeS

JoeS Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maryland
    Are you getting any error messages on your wall control?
  5. pelletpoor

pelletpoor New Member

Loc:
    upstate new york
    No, I don't an AE. But, I did figure out the problem. The fire pot door was held open slightly by a clinker. Most of the pellets fell into the ash pan, but a few stayed in the pot to smolder. Th.is explains why the convection blower didn't turn on. Thanks for the posts.
  6. imacman

imacman Guest

Glad you got it figured out. We have snow coming tomorrow....your going to need the stove!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.