1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Muffler blows off my Stihl 031AV

Post in 'The Gear' started by Leroy_B, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Leroy_B

Leroy_B Member

Loc:
    Southern N.H.
    Well this put a kibosh on cleaning up a red oak when the muffler blew off my Stihl 031AV. I recently bought the saw and this little bugger is a great little work horse. A $100 well spent so I expect these little problems all in good time. So it's an easy fix and I'll be back in business for the next downed tree.. Meantime my Husqvarna Rancher 455 finished the rest of the work.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Those mufflers are NLA from Stihl, I'm assuming you're going to eBay for parts?
  3. Leroy_B

Leroy_B Member

Loc:
    Southern N.H.
    There's a shop next town over that's nothing but Stihl chainsaws I was hoping I might get lucky. Kinda like the same hopes I had scoring at the CYO dances as a teen. I get lucky when I'm not looking. So yeah Ebay is my next source and I'll browse Craigslist for the hell of it. Might find one for parts.
  4. Leroy_B

Leroy_B Member

Loc:
    Southern N.H.
  5. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

6. Freeheat

Freeheat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West of Cleveland
    There is a guy that posts ad's on craigslist for Stihl parts and ships out, If I find the link i'll pm you
  7. Leroy_B

Leroy_B Member

Loc:
    Southern N.H.
    That would be cool. Thanks es332.
  8. XJma

XJma Member

Loc:
    MA
    That one has been repaired and beefed up! Might be good idea to fix or have fixed the muffler that you have for when it breaks next time. The way that muffler mounts to such a small flange way back from the beef of the actual muffler makes it look prone to breakage. Can you get spikes for the bar to help protect the muffler?
  9. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Good eyes Xjma, I hadn't caught that! There were a couple other decent looking ones for about $30 on ebay, plus a brand new one for $99 (steep). Now might be a good time to pick up any other nice parts you might want for that 031AV Leroy_B, they aren't getting any cheaper, only harder to find. I'm in the process of doing a major rebuild on mine right now.