Multifuel: what can I burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob E

Jun 25, 2014
South Michigan
I have a U.S. Stove 6039. The owner's manual mentions cherry pits and corn, but I've also read mention on line of other types of grain, sunflower seeds, and nut shells. So, I'm just curious. What all can I burn?

If its not listed in your manual, you cant burn it.

Maybe, but my owner's manual is pretty vague about everything else...

Your owner manual is quite clear about your unit burning corn of sufficient dryness and wood pellets of < 1% ash as being acceptable fuels it does not mention any other fuels so those are it.

i burn all kinds of crap in mine..lol Peanut shells, hickory nut shells (Gotta super dry them), pellets, corn, coffee beans.. i get bored and see if it'll burn. Coffee burns good actually. lol i do this with old grounds in my wood furnace too.

Curious about peanut shells?...go get some at "texas roadhouse" restraunt. lol

i burn all kinds of crap in mine..lol Peanut shells, hickory nut shells (Gotta super dry them), pellets, corn, coffee beans.. i get bored and see if it'll burn. Coffee burns good actually. lol i do this with old grounds in my wood furnace too.

Curious about peanut shells?...go get some at "texas roadhouse" restraunt. lol

Yes it likely can burn tons of different crap but so doing you will likely have warranty issues, a code violation, and insurance issues because you are burning a non approved fuel in the device invalidating the devices certifications.

But hey, among friends, what the h e double, there is cord wood, coal, waste oil and other perfectly good fuels that folks have burned in one of these stoves, the end result hasn't always been pretty.

Yes it likely can burn tons of different crap but so doing you will likely have warranty issues, a code violation, and insurance issues because you are burning a non approved fuel in the device invalidating the devices certifications.

But hey, among friends, what the h e double, there is cord wood, coal, waste oil and other perfectly good fuels that folks have burned in one of these stoves, the end result hasn't always been pretty.
Dang, cord word?! thats nuts.. i read about the coal experiment that went wrong..that shoulda been a no brainer.

Your owner manual is quite clear about your unit burning corn of sufficient dryness and wood pellets of < 1% ash as being acceptable fuels it does not mention any other fuels so those are it.
Yeah, it says that on the cover, but by page 6 they decide cherry pits are okay and by page 7 they give wood pellets with 3% ash content or more the green light... Any warranty for the stove is long gone. Just curious if there are any safe wood pellet alternatives out there...

Dang, cord word?! thats nuts
I want to see the guy who drops a log in the hopper and can't figure out why it wont feed right. ;lol

Reactions: mustangwagz
I want to see the guy who drops a log in the hopper

i dont wanna see the dood OR the log he drops in the hopper..LOL bahahaha, great play on words..sorry had to!

Reactions: bogieb
This is page 7 in the manual for the 6039/6039I/6039T that I am reading does this match your manual?.

Screenshot - 11172014 - 09:15:04 PM.png

I missed the cherry pits but the point is you can only burn what is listed in your manual. I just want to verify I have access to the same manual you got with the stove.

Yup, page 5 in my book. im just going based on what other veteran pellet stove owners have burned. Never said it was CORRECT or SAFE, but just stating ive done it. Guess its my nature to do stupid things, ive always got ideas brewing. haha

Yup, page 5 in my book. im just going based on what other veteran pellet stove owners have burned. Never said it was CORRECT or SAFE, but just stating ive done it. Guess its my nature to do stupid things, ive always got ideas brewing. haha

Some folks on here find out the hard way, but there is really no need of it, so if we see something that isn't quite right you find out about it.

Sometimes folks who should know better get carried away and get hurt.

What is right for your stove isn't always even close to being right in another. This is even before making certain that the venting can take it. More than a couple bio-fuels produce corrosive gases, even in a machine that can safely handle that aspect sometimes have issues with impurities in the fuel hazelnut shells for one, yes there is a party on here that burns them and she has to keep an eye on any left over nut pieces in the shells, the problem shows up as a fire in the venting.

Reactions: mustangwagz

Attachments

• 175057.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 463
The Aussie dries and sells olive pits. Maybe get some if around California. Another member, Snowy gets Hazelnut shells? I have done dog food, soybeans, peanuts that were rank, pellets made from wheat screenings, pellets made from peat(just found a small sample yesterday) trying to get some made from beet tailings and if were a bit earlier I might remember more.

The Aussie dries and sells olive pits. Maybe get some if around California. Another member, Snowy gets Hazelnut shells? I have done dog food, soybeans, peanuts that were rank, pellets made from wheat screenings, pellets made from peat(just found a small sample yesterday) trying to get some made from beet tailings and if were a bit earlier I might remember more.

Are the flamingos complaining about beak breaking water in your neck of the woods yet?

It was Snowy who has to watch what comes with the hazelnut shells she burns.

I'm stuck with just pellets the stove isn't quite sturdy enough for the other stuff, don't know about the venting as I was only going to burn pellets anyway.

Butchered 30 ducks just before the Artic blast and haven't needed a freezer since. Going to pickup some cheap turkeys tomorrow and get them run through the smoker when it gets back to 30 hopefully this weekend.
Heavy wall stainless tubing inserted into standard pellet venting doesn't seem to care going on two years and shows no issues. Venting companies are just cheap.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Butchered 30 ducks just before the Artic blast and haven't needed a freezer since. Going to pickup some cheap turkeys tomorrow and get them run through the smoker when it gets back to 30 hopefully this weekend.
Heavy wall stainless tubing inserted into standard pellet venting doesn't seem to care going on two years and shows no issues. Venting companies are just cheap.

Yeah on the cheap but hey what can I say?

Status
Not open for further replies.