Multitasking at it's best - Wood Splitter AND Rototiller

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nater

Jan 3, 2011
Southern Maine
Found this gem on craigslist.... http://maine.craigslist.org/grd/2390385713.html

Troybilt Horse Roto tiller with wood splitter - $1000 (Lincoln)

Date: 2011-05-19, 12:14PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

I split 4 cord of hardwood, and till my garden each year. Runs very good.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Attachments

• 3k63oe3l05V25O25P2b5j133e14f55269168b.jpg
    3k63oe3l05V25O25P2b5j133e14f55269168b.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 1,680
  • 3nc3mc3p45V05Z45W1b5jedd25f7c1b621da1.jpg
    3nc3mc3p45V05Z45W1b5jedd25f7c1b621da1.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 9,885
  • 3ne3m43l25T25W05R3b5jf77d4abd96851b29.jpg
    3ne3m43l25T25W05R3b5jf77d4abd96851b29.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 2,000
  • 3nc3pa3l35Q55P55R0b5j6fe30966befb1d46.jpg
    3nc3pa3l35Q55P55R0b5j6fe30966befb1d46.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 3,836
Now that a redneck!

What are the chances.......... My Cousin has one just like that.............LOL

DexterDay said:
What are the chances.......... My Cousin has one just like that.............LOL

Thats funny right there!

Where's the seat so I can relax & sip my ice tea? ;-)

Thistle said:

Oh that was made by beer drinkers for beer drinkers only!

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

I drink tea or soda when I'm working,beer when I'm not lol

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

I drink tea or soda when I'm working,beer when I'm not lol

Then that gig is not quite right for either of us...lol takes at least 0.08 to start it up! :coolsmirk:

Guess I won't be posting a picture of my Ozark wood hauling rig.

JimboM said:
Guess I won't be posting a picture of my Ozark wood hauling rig.

lol As long as your not trying to be a farmer and a lumbar jack at the same time. Its all good! :lol:

smokinjay said:
As long as your not trying to be a farmer and a lumbar jack at the same time.

Now what is wrong with that? I work my 8,000 sq ft 'field' and 2,000 sq ft 'woodlot' with pride :)

Other than price and maybe beam size, that looks like a decent happy homeowner solution.

And here I just bought a new splitter and a new tiller this year....

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
As long as your not trying to be a farmer and a lumbar jack at the same time.

Now what is wrong with that? I work my 8,000 sq ft 'field' and 2,000 sq ft 'woodlot' with pride :)

Other than price and maybe beam size, that looks like a decent happy homeowner solution.

LOL That no home owner solution.....Thats a liability.

Actually Troy built came out with this attachment shortly before they were bought out. I recall receiving an add for it and thought it might be a great idea for using the tiller for more than garden work. My neighbor has a Troy Built that has the setup for this but does not have the splitter. I'm also thinking they may have had a chipper option too but don't remember for sure.

Ayuh, finest kind right there

Snow blower was an option for the tiller we have. In the Ozarks, don't need one. Might if this global warming keeps up.

Backwoods Savage said:
Actually Troy built came out with this attachment shortly before they were bought out. I recall receiving an add for it and thought it might be a great idea for using the tiller for more than garden work. My neighbor has a Troy Built that has the setup for this but does not have the splitter. I'm also thinking they may have had a chipper option too but don't remember for sure.

They also had a gen-set option as well, but all went by the way of the do-do bird.

Didn't Wheel Horse / (Toro-Wheel Horse?) have a similar set up? A powerhead the operater mowers, blowers, chippers, edgers, etc.?

PJF1313 said:
Didn't Wheel Horse / (Toro-Wheel Horse?) have a similar set up? A powerhead the operater mowers, blowers, chippers, edgers, etc.?

Dont remember them, sure could have. My father had one old troy-built tillers. I remember the brochure that came in the mail. We had a tractor set-up for the splitter already. I like the gen-set but really seem like a pain to change things out like that when you already have a tractor thats much easier.

Gravely (sic?) was the king of interchanability. We had a rotary plow, 30" mower, brush blade, snowblower, rototiller and sickle bar mower and there were a few others available.

Now that would be a back killer . . . unless you were kneeling in front of it whenever you split . . . even then I'm not so sure I would enjoy splitting wood as much as I do now.

Dune said:
Gravely (sic?) was the king of interchanability. We had a rotary plow, 30" mower, brush blade, snowblower, rototiller and sickle bar mower and there were a few others available.

Yep, the engine was just that, an engine to drive whatever kind of equipment you might need. It was quite ingenious, it could do many things with one engine. The big problem was that it didn't really do any of them well.

Jags said:
Dune said:

Yep, the engine was just that, an engine to drive whatever kind of equipment you might need. It was quite ingenious, it could do many things with one engine. The big problem was that it didn't really do any of them well.

Yep, kinda like an enduro motorcycle. Not great on the street, not great in the dirt. I did put in a lot of hours behind the gravely though so it did do some work.

I did see a multi function tool today that looked worth having. It was a horizontal panel saw built onto a table saw sharing the bed with an 18" planer that could also be a jointer with a shaper built into the common table. It was only about the size of a high end programable european table saw. Incredibly beautiful and well made in Austria and the only other large tool in the shop was a drill press. The guy had actualy been able to build a much smaller shop because of the tool. 26k barebones, endless additional optional add ons.

For me, I will stick with a basement full of old Delta and Craftsman and Walker Turner wood tools which probably costs me less than a set of blades for the combo unit. Course I am not making cabinets for a living.

oops

Status
Not open for further replies.