my firewood after 10 month's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maple man

Burning Hunk
121.JPG 114.JPG118.JPG

Looking good! Do you expect to burn all of that this winter? What kinds of wood are in those stacks?

To jump on with Red Oak, what kind of wood do you have in those stacks? In the first picture it looks like not much end grain checking is going on...have you checked the MC of your wood recently?

If it is anything other than oak you should be fine. I think you'll be fine if it is oak. Last year I burned a lot of 1 year old oak (more like 15 months) and it was awesome. We'll see what 2 year old oak is like this year. If it's maple (your handle), your golden.

I would do long rows of wood over the wood all bunched together (as in the first pic) to facilitate drying. But after a couple of year it won't matter.

Great looking stacks.

Do you really need the exercise machine out there?
Isn't CSS'ing wood enough exercise or is it a rest or the bosses stool?

Reactions: ScotO
Nice stack o' wood, maple man! How many cord do you figure you have there?

your off to a great start, we are going into our third winter burning wood and i am finally to the point where i am a year ahead....just need to keep pushing the pace to get even further ahead.

Stacks are looking good, and I also like the standing trees in the background. Firewood futures!

most of that wood is not fore this year pix 2 is fore this year i have other wood fore this year i will take some pix today i have about 16 courd fore this and next year

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
16 cord sounds great! Only thing I don't like is stacking against the trees. Can tear up some bark and also in high winds can do some not so good adjusting of your stacking.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
If it is anything other than oak you should be fine. I think you'll be fine if it is oak. Last year I burned a lot of 1 year old oak (more like 15 months) and it was awesome. We'll see what 2 year old oak is like this year. If it's maple (your handle), your golden.

I would do long rows of wood over the wood all bunched together (as in the first pic) to facilitate drying. But after a couple of year it won't matter.

I burned alot of one year red oak last year and it burned really hot and I never saw smoke coming out of the chimney when I got her going, one of the best woods I burned last year as far as heat output. When I cleaned the liner this past month It was loaded with powder like creosote and I have no problem blameing the red oak for that. I split some of that same oak to do a moisture check and it was still at 28-30% moisture. Although I liked burning it it will not see the new insert this winter and will have to wait for next winter and it should be the bomb.

I burned alot of one year red oak last year and it burned really hot and I never saw smoke coming out of the chimney when I got her going, one of the best woods I burned last year as far as heat output. When I cleaned the liner this past month It was loaded with powder like creosote and I have no problem blameing the red oak for that. I split some of that same oak to do a moisture check and it was still at 28-30% moisture. Although I liked burning it it will not see the new insert this winter and will have to wait for next winter and it should be the bomb.
If you're seeing light brown powdery stuff it's not neccesarly a bad burn, pretty common in the top few feet of a liner.
Even some shiny stuff on the very top cap I'd not be concerned with. The creosote formation can be reduced by burning with more primary air(not as efficient) but keeps the flue velocity higher thus reducing time contact temperature reduction.

pix 1 is some free scrounged wood from 2 years ago burning it this year pix 2 is wood fore next year pix 3 is a standing dead suger maple pix 4 is my wood shed

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 125
Great Job there, its a lot of work to get there, but once your there. It makes life a lot easier.

Looks great. That'll keep you warm this winter.

Great Job there, its a lot of work to get there, but once your there. It makes life a lot easier.

agreed, it is a lot of work to get a few years ahead, but it is an amazing feeling once you know you are there.

16 cord sounds great! Only thing I don't like is stacking against the trees. Can tear up some bark and also in high winds can do some not so good adjusting of your stacking.

SDC10503.JPGSDC10504.JPGSDC10505.JPGSDC10506.JPG

Oh no I have sinned, but my trees here in Virgina are tough and have big Balls.

whats species of ball is the white one? Nike? Callaway?

Status
Not open for further replies.