MY FIRST MAN SAW

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So why the 270 and not the 290? There is a pro saw in there, maybe the 260?, but the prices all seem to come together in the 200 series non-pro saws and I can't see why you would want less power.

The 290 might weigh a bit more? Just curious.

Oh, and I have never worn chaps except when packing horses. Nobody wears them here. Maybe its an east coast thing. We wear ear protection and I will wear eye protection but no gloves or chaps. The large forest companies might be forced to do it but they also wear corks.

Highbeam I got the ms270 becuase of price. I did see the 290 and is was a bit heavy and I really dont need any thing that big.Im sure if I was selling wood or I had to work every day with it then it would be worth it.The only thing I need is somthing two cut fire wood and be relible out in the woods. I really dont need the chaps there very hot.
The other week my boss was limbing a tree and got him self in the shine end up with 21 stiwches he was luky.Luck that his father and I werre to help a brother out and got him in the truck to get to the hospital.I dont want to take the chance in the woods along I have two little ones to come home with and I really cant miss work for some little cut I might get

Highbeam said:
So why the 270 and not the 290? There is a pro saw in there, maybe the 260?, but the prices all seem to come together in the 200 series non-pro saws and I can't see why you would want less power.

The 290 might weigh a bit more? Just curious.

Oh, and I have never worn chaps except when packing horses. Nobody wears them here. Maybe its an east coast thing. We wear ear protection and I will wear eye protection but no gloves or chaps. The large forest companies might be forced to do it but they also wear corks.

I too bought the 270 over the other models this spring. Reason was it had the best antivibration system of the lot. My dealer shunned me when I looked at the pro 260 and said it was way overkill unless you used it commercially. He was probably right since I doubt I will wear out the 270 which is a fine saw for home and firewood use.

deleted due to stupidity

Burd said:
Highbeam I got the ms270 becuase of price. I did see the 290 and is was a bit heavy and I really dont need any thing that big.Im sure if I was selling wood or I had to work every day with it then it would be worth it.The only thing I need is somthing two cut fire wood and be relible out in the woods. I really dont need the chaps there very hot.
The other week my boss was limbing a tree and got him self in the shine end up with 21 stiwches he was luky.Luck that his father and I werre to help a brother out and got him in the truck to get to the hospital.I dont want to take the chance in the woods along I have two little ones to come home with and I really cant miss work for some little cut I might get

Well if you want to see chaps testimonials, go over to Arboristsite, and see what the pros have to say about them, complete in many cases w/ pictures...

They seem like one of the less arguable peices of gear - sort of like biker leathers (and not like MC helmets) - where they have really good odds of helping you, and they WON'T hurt you, or cause an accident...

They are hot, but they aren't unbearable, and keeping warm can be an advantage when it's cold, just keep drinking plenty of non-alcoholic, non-caffeinated fluids...

One other peice of oft-unmentioned safety gear, especially if cutting alone (not a great idea BTW, but most of us at least some) is a cell phone, kept on your person... It's nice to be able to call 911, and get a rescue squad if you can't move yourself...

Gooserider

myzamboni said:
I too now have a Man Saw. The Poulan Electric finally would do know more, so I am now looking foward to trying out my Husky 345e. I can now respond to CL ads claiming wood needs to be cut in order to load into vehicle. WOOT!

And I bought the matching Husky chaps (they were on sale).

So I've had the chance to run a couple tanks of gas through my husky and all I can say is my dealer put me in the right saw. What a difference after the electric! It's light and buzzes right through what I usually come across AND still handled the bigger stuff without complaint.

I'm also impressed the fuel efficiency (not sure why but I thought it would run through fuel faster).

Status
Not open for further replies.