My Little Woodshed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halligan

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2012
Southeastern Massachusetts
I built this small woodshed over the summer. It will hold just over 1 full cord. It's not as grand as others here but I'm happy with how it came out. For the record it's not attached to the shed and I left about 6" between it and the shed for airflow.

I'll throw in a pic of my wood piles as well.

013.JPG014.JPG

Nice looking little shed, there!
I need to put that on my list for next summer.....along with the other 500 things that dear wifey wants done.

Looks like it will be on hold for yet ANOTHER year....

I like it a lot. Would be just about the right size for me. Don't need anything huge as I don't burn nearly as much as most on here.

Looks dam good Halligan. I like that shed. Simple and built like a tank. Should last you a long time. Looks like a nice supply of wood you have there as well. How much wood do you burn in a year?

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Nice job Halligan, a cord under cover should be enough, your other racks look like mine.

Looks dam good Halligan. I like that shed. Simple and built like a tank. Should last you a long time. Looks like a nice supply of wood you have there as well. How much wood do you burn in a year?

Thanks, the shed is certainly overbuilt to say the least.

Since I'm new to wood burning I can't give you a good answer on how much wood I'll burn. The wood in the shed is ready to burn. The wood under the tarps to the left is oak that is not seasoned yet. the wood under the tarp at the top of the picture is maple and is also ready to burn. Basically I have about 2 cord seasoned. I picked up an oak scrounge (about 1/3 cord) the other day that needs splitting and stacking as well.

I really need to work at increasing my wood storage for the future so I'm at least one year ahead. My yard is rather small but my in-laws live nearby and I can store wood there and they have plenty of room. The only downfall is having to move the wood twice.

In addition to my wood I also keep my mother suplied with wood. She has about 3 cord on hand for this winter.

I really like your shed, Its nicely built. Gives me more ideas for what I want to do. Good job.

Very nice.

Lookin' good all the way around. Rick

Great setup Halligan and I believe that you have the perfect size for most homes. You run a nice tight ship and it looks like you have some nice autumn foliage going on up there. We are not at peak yet.

Nice shed & stacks.
Both look "Grand" to me :)

Good job!

Nice. Did you have to get a permit for that? Just curious.

Permit :eek:.

That's one nice shed! Good job!

good job...i like the lattice. will certainly keep the wood dry as you need it. refill when empty......repeat.

cass

Thanks, the shed is certainly overbuilt to say the least.

Since I'm new to wood burning I can't give you a good answer on how much wood I'll burn. The wood in the shed is ready to burn. The wood under the tarps to the left is oak that is not seasoned yet. the wood under the tarp at the top of the picture is maple and is also ready to burn. Basically I have about 2 cord seasoned. I picked up an oak scrounge (about 1/3 cord) the other day that needs splitting and stacking as well.

I really need to work at increasing my wood storage for the future so I'm at least one year ahead. My yard is rather small but my in-laws live nearby and I can store wood there and they have plenty of room. The only downfall is having to move the wood twice.

In addition to my wood I also keep my mother suplied with wood. She has about 3 cord on hand for this winter.

That is great that you also keep Mom supplied with wood. Did you build a shed for her too?

That is great that you also keep Mom supplied with wood. Did you build a shed for her too?

I just finished rebuilding her screen porch where she stores some of her wood. However, I do intend to build her a storage shed as well.

good job...i like the lattice. will certainly keep the wood dry as you need it. refill when empty......repeat.

cass

It's tough to see but if you look close you can see I ran vertical 2X4's on the inside of the lattice to prevent wood from bowing it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.