My Lopi Spirit is driving me nuts!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doug binder

Jan 17, 2014
New Mexico
I have had this unit for 16 years. It's a wonderful natural gas unit that vents out through the roof. I would occasionally have a problem with it going out, but mostly it's been trouble-free till this year. The pilot goes out intermittently, sometimes the flame and pilot go out with a whoosh. I had a technician come out to check the system. He did a pretty rudimentary check--took out all the logs and looked around--and thought everything looked pretty good. So then I had the flue extended another three feet and a wind deflector added. Went out again. Very frustrating.

The stove, when it works, and it usually does work, is fabulous. Nice blue pilot, flames are blue at bottom and orange at top. The tech said the thermocouple looked great. Something is intermittently shutting down the system, and I cannot figure it out. I think I've pretty well taken care of downdraft issues with the flue modification. The unit can go a week without a problem or it can shut down several times within several hours. I cannot discern the pattern.

What's my next step here?

Last edited:
i'd find a tech with real technical background...
t-couple "looks good' isn't very helpful. How many mV is it putting out?
has he tested or bypassed the spill switch (i think that model is a b-vent?)

welcome, and best of luck :)

Right, a B-vent. I was pretty disappointed in his "check up," but we don't have a lot of choices here in Albuquerque, with regards to Lopi technicians!

lopi uses the same valve and many similar parts as other gas stoves.
iirc robertshaw valve and pilot assy. if it has a t-couple it is the robertshaw plus valve. many just had a thermopile and it is interrupted by the spill switch.

anyone familiar w/any older gas units should know these systems

the first steps in your repair should have been testing voltage on t-couple or t-pyle .cleaning pilot orfice if needed ,i usually do on any unit that has not been serviced in a few years as routine maintenance .Spill switch or over heat limit check if applicable .If the voltage checks good then the gas valve E.P.U check is next on the list .I would guess your so called TECH was not experienced or trained in this field all i have posted is common knowledge for a experienced tech.

These are very helpful responses--thanks! I have a question. Is the spill switch the same thing as the snap disc? Because I just now replaced the snap disc (whether it needed it or not!). Seemed an easy thing to do, was very cheap, and might save me a home visit...... Or am I just whistling Dixie?

its similar but a snap stat is normally open and most spill switches are normally closed just make sure you get the right one or the pilot wont stay lit at all.

It's the right one. The snap disc failed about 10 years ago and I bought an extra one at that time--it's exactly the same. Replacing it took just a few minutes and the stove is roaring right now. If the problem persists then I am assuming the problem lies with the thermocouple or thermophile, is that right? Looking at the wiring diagram, I don't see where else there could be a problem!

correct ...does the unit have a thermocouple or just a thermopyle? Make sure the pilot flame is hitting the couple or pyle with a nice blue flame .Weak or flickering pilot flame will cause pilot issues

Has both, and a very strong blue flame....

I really appreciate all this help. I hope I have remedied the situation......I've already sunk quite a bit into this by unnecessarily upgrading the flue, though the wind screen is not a bad thing to have...... I wish the technician had been a bit more thorough.

if it has both you wont need to change the pyle unless the burner wont light and the pilot is staying lit.glad i can help i hate spending money that i didnt have to in the first place.:mad:

a failing spill switch will cause your issue .The spill switch should be located at the rear of the stove under the vent pipe shroud Also check the spade terminals for bad connections after years of use they can become brittle.

Status
Not open for further replies.