My Magic Heat Reveiw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Google search for magic heat came up with a pot vaporizer, I think I will try one of those and give a review on it. :cheese:

Oldmainer said:
Hi branchburner...if the pine burns alittle mite fast ya need to squeeze off the air a tad. I have two air damper controls in the door of my Allnighter that do a good job of air control. Most of my wood...both hard and soft seasons for about six months...then it is burned. I cut in the late winter and early spring then stack it for the coming heating season. I have been burning wood for nearly 50 years and havn't set my chimney on fire yet. I make sure the fire gets enough air even when I set it up for an all night burn. Have plenty of coals for a restart in the early am. Burning wood is more of an art then a science...and will do as it should if you take the time to play it right. Some are too lazy or cheap to clean their chimney on a regular basis...but if done it saves on turning their home into a pile of charcoal...:) I burn even the tree branches...down to about 1 inch in size. The rest of the brush I chip with my chipper at some point during the year...and use the chips for mulch. I have my own 40 acre wood lot. And yes I know...a modern stove will burn cleaner and use alittle less wood...but ya know...unless I am bothering a neigbor...which I'm not cos I live in the country...I plan to do it my way till I buy the farm. Oldmainer

Sounds like me five years ago when I showed up here. Been doing it for 30 years and didn't see any need to dry the wood more than spring to fall and the old stoves were heating just fine. Then the big one popped a weld that couldn't be reached with a welder. Got the first new one and like they say about the first time you have sex, wanted to kill myself for what I had been missing. Replaced the other one real fast.

If ya like the way you are doing it, keep on keeping on. Just don't feel too smug about it. I am starting to like power windows in the car too.

oldspark said:
Google search for magic heat came up with a pot vaporizer, I think I will try one of those and give a review on it. :cheese:

You think flue temps are confusing now, just wait 'til you're in the middle of testing out pot vaporizers.

Ok so the cold weather has finally hit. and the last few days its been below freezing and SUPER windy....

First of... My uninsulated house, is cold lol

My shop on the other hand, has ran for a total of 12hrs or so over 3 days with an outside temp of 40 or below... hitting 20's at night... inside the shop, 60F =D

Ok couple things... BattenKiller, I took some of your advice about closing the primary damper then proping the lid up about an inch... this seems to work great. Though I wont leave the stove unattended that way...

Its wierd, the stove gets alot hotter and the pipe drops in temp o_O

I thought the less stove pipe you have the better? Considering I have no obstructions with in hundreds of feet of my pipe (except for a coupe tres that have no leaves and their canopies are 20ft above the roof line) why are some of you suggesting I add MORE pipe and why does the manual state such as well?

Right now I have 3ft above the roof... If I bought another 3ft section, would that make a difference?

I realize that my cheater box IS cheating... but so far I have used about a FC of wood so far this season. Last year I was up to 3-4 face cords by this time... But I also replaced all the gaskets of my stove, corrected a warper door by adding gasket to the stove and the door to fill the gap... which changed the characteristics of my stove LOL

So. for ME I can say I am happy with my purchase of the MH.

Adding 3 feet could make a difference. How many feet do you have now?

Matt

Ducky said:
BattenKiller, I took some of your advice about closing the primary damper then proping the lid up about an inch... this seems to work great.

I recommended propping the lid up? You mean the griddle top? I musta been hitting the cheap scotch, because I've never, ever done that. But yeah, that'll cause the flue temps to drop... along with your draft.

As many have said before, stove setup and draft mean everything. Case in point, my father-in-law and I are doing the first break-in burn in his new Jotul Oslo today. Out in the driveway, typical New England, windy cold November day. 3' of stove pipe as our chimney. We get the stove up to 200 degrees, wind hits the "chimney" the right way, fire goes out, total smokeshow. Probably just a microcosm of things that can happen when the application doesn't work. He has a 35 yr old "Better-n-Benz" firebox burning right now. I am hopeful this Oslo is going to "rock his world", along with saving him some wood along the way. When we get the stove in the hearth, it will have a 20' run of 6" circular vermiculite chimney to draw from, just like a liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.