My new Blaze King King

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aansorge

Minister of Fire
Aug 12, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Well I found what was a killer deal and couldn't pass it up: A newish Blaze King King with 18 ft of class A for $1000 dollars. Good deal, no?!?!

I found it on craigslist while sitting at a water-park in Wisconsin. Problem was it was in Kansas and I figured it wouldn't last the two and a half days until we were through with our vacation.

I live in Southern Minnesota and have been looking for a stove to add to my Enerzone 2.5 ZC fireplace for awhile. The enerzone does a decent job of heating the place (2600 sq ft of finished area), but needs furnace assistance during the cold winter months. I figured I'd add a nice small stove (with good burn times) in the other half of the house.

I looked at a P.E. super 27 on the Saturday before I spotted the King. It was exactly what I was looking for but a bit wore out. I passed.

Glad I did! The King changes everything. Obviously I have a new primary heater. The Enerzone is going to be the side-kick (it has an auxiliary fan that can shoot heat to the finished basement).

This site got me wanting a Blaze King, I just could never find a decent deal.

This one is a 2003 model parlor with a blower kit. He says he only bought it 5 years ago, so I think it was a demo model. Looks to be in great shape minus a bunch of creosote everywhere (stove and pipe). I'm sure the guy was burning wet wood (loved his old Earth Stove he said). I think I'll replace the cat and gaskets just to be safe.

Photos will be up within 2 hours! Kids are sleeping and the sun is just coming up.....in time!

I tried to post the craigslist ad, but the previous owner just took it down.

Reactions: PapaDave
Sounds great. The pipe makes it an incredible buy.

The only place I found that could be a problem is the channel that holds the bypass gasket. It warps easily when overfired. Just look down thru the flue collar with the bypass open. Of course, that stove had a bad, wide open weld along the whole bottom side of the door frame, so it probably wasn't easy to control.

http://www.firecatcombustors.com/ACI-64C-p/wa-4152000855.htm Seems to work great in my sister's stove.

Photos will be up within 2 hours! Kids are sleeping and the sun is just coming up.....in time!

I tried to post the craigslist ad, but the previous owner just took it down.
Uh huh.
Just another reason for us to think yer lyin'.;)
But seriously, sounds like a great deal.
You are now a member of the "You Suck" club. I wanna' join, but can't find a deal like that.....well, actually I did, but someone got it instead of me.>>

Reactions: jeff_t
Glad you survived giving up the vacation to go get a stove, I would never hear the end of it from the wife and kids.

Sad thing is you will probably have to deal with the "you messed up our family vacation" line till next winter, once they are able to run around in skivvies all will be forgotten and you will be forgiven.

Can't wait to see the install pics.

You are now a member of the "You Suck" club. I wanna' join, but can't find a deal like that.....well, actually I did, but someone got it instead of me.>>

Hey, I tried to return the favor....

Alright...here is proof...and by the way, I didn't alter our vacation, I semi-patiently waited until it was over before driving down. Wifey has limits. Glad I waited as we had a great time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 265
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 257
How do they flip upside down? Try again...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 282
Here is where it will go...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 225
The existing gas fireplace is about 10 inches wider than the blaze king and is in a chase going up the side of the house. The width of the chase will be real close to minimum, so I'll probably need to make a heat shield. With the side shields, the king only needs 10 inches of clearances on the sides.

Curious, what did the wife say when she first saw the BK?

I kid you not, she said without a hint of sarcasm, "It's beautiful!"

Yeah, I am near sited too, but wear corrective lenses.:p

Heck of a deal on that stove and pipe. The pipe itself would eat up a good chunk of that grand.

Heck of a deal on that stove and pipe. The pipe itself would eat up a good chunk of that grand.

I'm still shaking a bit from all the excitement. I'm trying to do my taxes today but am having problems focusing.

I'm still shaking a bit from all the excitement. I'm trying to do my taxes today but am having problems focusing.
Awesome score! And I know what you mean about new-stove excitement... :cool: Hopefully you get the install figured out with a little time left to test-burn up there in MN.
There's seldom anything good on CL here, but somehow I lucked into the 2008 Buck 91, 6' of cheap flex and 16' of rigid stainless for $1000. I would say "I must have been living right" but I know that's not true... ;lol

Great deal!
Gold trimmed door no less!

Just wait till you get that sucker fired up..you will be up nights playing around with it!

Alright...here is proof...and by the way, I didn't alter our vacation, I semi-patiently waited until it was over before driving down. Wifey has limits. Glad I waited as we had a great time.
Well done!
Must've been the gold door.;)
Bonus!
Congrats!

It doesn't look hardly used. I bet they had wet wood and did not like it.

It doesn't look hardly used. I bet they had wet wood and did not like it.
My thoughts exactly. The stove pipe is full of creosote, so I'll bet that was the case.

Speaking of creosote, what is the best way to clean creosote out of the pipes. A stove brush will do most of it, but if I really want to clean it up, what should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.