My New Napoleon 1402 Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Corriewf said:
KB007 said:
Is the baffle sitting funny on the firebrick? Mine sit nice and flat between the brick and the secondary tube. When to shut down, depends on the day for me. If it's cold outside I let it rip up to 700 then shut down. If it's mild, I start to shut down around 500 or so. Have you done the oven test to make sure your thermometer is reading accurately?

Yeah it sits level on the firebrick on the sides, it just isn't flat on the secondaries. The right side is flat. Me thinks I might need to get the left baffle board replaced when the burning season is over. I have not done a oven test with the IR gun. I trust that it's pretty accurate. I bought the IR gun because I felt the Rutland stove therm was not accurate, but found out that it pretty right on the money. That was a depressing find as I couldn't get the Vogelzang Colonial up above 500.

On another note, went to my buddies house last night. He has a Hearthstone Clydesdale with a 2.4 box. Man I love the dimensions of the Nap fireboxes better. His firebox was very wide in the front, but tapered back. It is sooo much better to have the depth this firebox has. I learned that firebox size, although important, is not as important as how the dimensions are laid out. I know I can fit more wood in this Nap than in his Clydesdale. Those tapering fireboxes are no fun and he will have a hard time doing north to south burns.

1. North/South burns are a preference not a necessity.
2. You have a fine stove and it will serve you well, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Clydesdale has a longer burn time than the Napoleon.

BrowningBAR said:
Corriewf said:
KB007 said:
Is the baffle sitting funny on the firebrick? Mine sit nice and flat between the brick and the secondary tube. When to shut down, depends on the day for me. If it's cold outside I let it rip up to 700 then shut down. If it's mild, I start to shut down around 500 or so. Have you done the oven test to make sure your thermometer is reading accurately?

Yeah it sits level on the firebrick on the sides, it just isn't flat on the secondaries. The right side is flat. Me thinks I might need to get the left baffle board replaced when the burning season is over. I have not done a oven test with the IR gun. I trust that it's pretty accurate. I bought the IR gun because I felt the Rutland stove therm was not accurate, but found out that it pretty right on the money. That was a depressing find as I couldn't get the Vogelzang Colonial up above 500.

On another note, went to my buddies house last night. He has a Hearthstone Clydesdale with a 2.4 box. Man I love the dimensions of the Nap fireboxes better. His firebox was very wide in the front, but tapered back. It is sooo much better to have the depth this firebox has. I learned that firebox size, although important, is not as important as how the dimensions are laid out. I know I can fit more wood in this Nap than in his Clydesdale. Those tapering fireboxes are no fun and he will have a hard time doing north to south burns.

1. North/South burns are a preference not a necessity.
2. You have a fine stove and it will serve you well, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Clydesdale has a longer burn time than the Napoleon.

The burn times are about the same, 10 hours. It takes longer to heat up the soapstone but takes longer to cool down. The nap heats up quick but on the back end, not so well. I think the soapstone is a more even heat. I still like that Clydesdale. It's a bad ass stove but didn't notice they tapered the back. If I'm doing east to west, I want to be able to do the same size splits in the front as in the back. Actually, I prefer bigger splits in the back. I only
like north to south because it's easier to load the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.