My Parrot is messing with me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rudysmallfry

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
Milford, CT
I thought you guys might appreciate this. My stove is in the basement, so I'm not watching it 24/7. I have an African Grey parrot who has watched me light many a shoulder season "smoker" over the years while I was sorting out my draft problems. She knows that when the smoke enters the room, the smoke detector goes off, mommy comes running and opens up some windows to make it all better. This year, I finally have my draft problems solved. No more smokers, at least I thought. Today, I was getting ready for work. It was 45 outside, so I just threw a few small splits on and went upstairs to take a shower. Five minutes later I hear the smoke detector. I shut off the shower, run downstairs freezing and soaking wet in a towel to find a very nicely burning fire and my parrot perched on the door to the basement beeping away in perfect smoke alarm sequence!! _itch!!! She's lucky she wasn't my dinner tonight. Hopefully she didn't get too much delight out of getting me to dance and repeat her antics. Goofy bird.

laughingsmiley.gif

LoL. I can relate. My cockatiel does an impressive phone ring!

I was at a house in Thailand waiting for coworkers to show up. Alone except for some nondescript noisy bird in some room, when I heard the toilet flush. Practically wet my pants. Quick check of the house and nobody was there. Settled down with another beer and the toilet flushed again. By then, I needed to use the toilet because I was about to crap my pants. They got home and asked me why I wasn't waiting inside. When told about the toilet, they laughed and said we forgot to tell you about the bird. That bird was amazing. Some local variety of a myna bird or something like that.

When I was three or four years old we lived in a house next to a guy with a parrot in a cage outside. Mom's name is Dora. All night long every night that freakin bird keep yelling "Dumb Dora. Dumb Dora.". Obviously we had a neighbor problem.

Dad was only five eleven like me but he had arms like oak trees. He went over and had a chat and the bird went inside. :lol:

:lol:
My parrot imitates the many sounds of our security system....and he has "punked" me many times with that one..then the lil bugger friggin laughs!!!
He has the phone and microwave down pat.....
He also imitates the squeaky door.....as soon as he sees me going towards that door he makes the sound...that is getting on my nerves.... >:-( Why bother fixing the squeak....that sound is in his hard drive now...

Lol one of my neighbors said every year he dresses up for Halloween as a pirate, so this year we decided to stop by with our newborn baby to say hi, and I noticed why he dresses like a pirate. He has a parrot and the parrot stays perched on his shoulder. Freaking awesome!!

Now I have parrot envy LOL

I knew some folks with an African Grey that would do a fine job of whistling for the dog and calling her to dinner, complete with spooning-the-food sound effects. The dog was one of those chubby, short-coupled ones that would come running, put on the brakes on the kitchen floor, and scrabble across it. That bird laughed, too. Also did a mean imitation of the theme song to Bridge Over the River Kwai, telephones, etc. If I ever had a bird, I'd want a grey--wicked smart creatures. Probably about a match for the cat.

Freeway "wolf whistles" at me all the time...weird since I am supposed to be his mommy dammit... :mad:
He blows "raspberries"too....The more excited he gets...the louder the raspberries... :lol:
To clarify...excited=happy...nothing else :mad:

snowleopard said:
If I ever had a bird, I'd want a grey--wicked smart creatures.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
I have a wicked, brilliant grey also.

Notice the comma. It's the most diagnostic part of my sentence.

my mother-in-law rescued a neglected cockatiel years ago from a lady who kept the bird covered all the time....she named him "Petey"....anyway after working with him for quite a while, that bird was amazing....the things that he could say, the sounds he could mimic, and even the sitcom theme songs......can't understand why the original owner neglected him, he was such an affectionate bird......my favorite thing he would do, was when you took him out to the kitchen, set him in front of the chrome plated toaster, he would start hissing and hackle all up, start pecking at his reflection in the toaster.....lol....within 5 or 10 minutes he would be in full strut, walking back and forth the length of that toaster for at least an hour til he would lose interest...he ended up escaping one summer afternoon, and never came back....he was an amazing little bird!

Can't resist.... :p
That's a pill bottle on his head... :cheese:
He can balance things on his head.....and don't ask how they got there...
BB is rollin his eyes right now.....
After all, how often do "Parrot threads" come up here? Huh???

Attachments

• fway bottle.jpg
    fway bottle.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 200
  • frwy ava.jpg
    frwy ava.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 219
An elderly lady gave me a budgie soon after my wife and I were married (around '77). I "hated" that bird. He was ten times smarter than me. He would land on my glasses while I was drinking beer, and absolutely loved to try and land on my plate, while I was eating supper (many times I said I was going to have him for supper, if he loved my plate that much). It was almost impossible to get him back in his cage, the moment I got up to shut the door of his cage, he would take off. It got to be a game for him. Oh yah, I inadvertently taught him to talk. He would shout out "Get back in your %$#@!! cage, you son of a *&^%$. We had to move, so I gave him to our old landlady, a nice old girl who probably never swore in her life, but she thought that a swearing bird was the funniest thing she ever heard of.

Anyone remember in Cheech & Chong's Up In Smoke,Cheech's buddy Strawberry with the annoying parrot? "STRAWBERRY!!! STRAWBERRY!!! STRAWBERRY!!!" :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.