My review of the Woodstock Progress

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. Don't put too much faith in the EPA figures. For sure they are necessary for the manufacturers but don't mean that much to most homeowners.

yukiginger said:
I also see a post from just yesterday on Woodstock's blog with the EPA data. The statement there is that it has the highest heat output of any freestanding stove tested in the last 20 years.

Does this mean it beats the Hearthstone Equinox's heat output, claimed by the manufacturer to be up to 120,000btu/hr?

MarkG
What it could mean is through the whole burn..btu's into the house.
Almost have to be a lawyer to guess at statements like that one..lol.

I wonder what the real world cordwood efficiency and BTU numbers are for this stove?

HotCoals said:
yukiginger said:
I also see a post from just yesterday on Woodstock's blog with the EPA data. The statement there is that it has the highest heat output of any freestanding stove tested in the last 20 years.

Does this mean it beats the Hearthstone Equinox's heat output, claimed by the manufacturer to be up to 120,000btu/hr?

MarkG
What it could mean is through the whole burn..btu's into the house.
Almost have to be a lawyer to guess at statements like that one..lol.

Yes, Hotcoals, you're correct. I saw somewhere a very different figure for EPA BTU rating and the "cordwood" rating. The EPA test is done with "EPA test fuel," whatever that may be. So, Hearthstone's spec on their website for the Equinox is almost certainly not meant to represent the EPA rating.

MarkG

I'm enjoying reading everything about this new stove. I'm not a fan of soapstone but since it's a bad steel stove wrapped in some pretty stone I may be able to get on board with it! :)

I think at this point my biggest knock is the 22" wood lengths, oak takes long enough at 16" I don't want to do anything to make it worse! :lol: If I was making a stove I would make it to fit what most people or wood suppliers consider firewood length. I could be wrong but for me that's 16-18 inches. What is the size of the firebox if you figure it using 18" lengths? People who just bought these stoves won't have oak that is ready in 22" lengths for 3 years! I'm not a fan of side loading stoves either but that obviously fits a lot of peoples needs since plenty of stoves are offered this way.

Anyway awesome stoves, I look forward to reading more good things about them. I'd really like Todd to get his hands on one since he's burned so many stoves he'd be a great source of comparison information. Todd maybe can you send you one on "loan"??

rdust said:
I think at this point my biggest knock is the 22" wood lengths, oak takes long enough at 16" I don't want to do anything to make it worse! :lol: If I was making a stove I would make it to fit what most people or wood suppliers consider firewood length. I could be wrong but for me that's 16-18 inches. What is the size of the firebox if you figure it using 18" lengths? People who just bought these stoves won't have oak that is ready in 22" lengths for 3 years!

Been thinking about this myself. Surprised I haven't seen anyone yet cutting some wood in 1/2 lengths to load perpendicular to the door over in this void opposite the door if their main wood is 16-18 in length. Or even set a few pieces in there vertical on the far side of the loading door to fill the thing right to the gills.

I'd love to be able to cut 20-22 inch wood. Stacks are more stable w/ longer splits. The rounds may take a bit longer to season being a few inches longer, but the splits really shouldn't see that much of a difference in seasoning time.

pen

pen said:
rdust said:
I think at this point my biggest knock is the 22" wood lengths, oak takes long enough at 16" I don't want to do anything to make it worse! :lol: If I was making a stove I would make it to fit what most people or wood suppliers consider firewood length. I could be wrong but for me that's 16-18 inches. What is the size of the firebox if you figure it using 18" lengths? People who just bought these stoves won't have oak that is ready in 22" lengths for 3 years!

Been thinking about this myself. Surprised I haven't seen anyone yet cutting some wood in 1/2 lengths to load perpendicular to the door over in this void opposite the door if their main wood is 16-18 in length. Or even set a few pieces in there vertical on the far side of the loading door to fill the thing right to the gills.

I'd love to be able to cut 20-22 inch wood. Stacks are more stable w/ longer splits. The rounds may take a bit longer to season being a few inches longer, but the splits really shouldn't see that much of a difference in seasoning time.

pen

I'm already doing this. My short splits (14") fit nicely N/S along the door. I don't think it's as good as loading true 22 inchers, but those will be ready in a year or so! I just cut up some 2" beech, guess I should get it split soon. Its a shame, I cut 6 cord of oak this past year figuring I'd end up getting the Progress, but I figured if I cut to 22" I'd jinx myself and never get the stove.

fire_man said:
pen said:
rdust said:

pen

I'm already doing this. My short splits (14") fit nicely N/S along the door. I don't think it's as good as loading true 22 inchers, but those will be ready in a year or so! I just cut up some 2" beech, guess I should get it split soon. Its a shame, I cut 6 cord of oak this past year figuring I'd end up getting the Progress, but I figured if I cut to 22" I'd jinx myself and never get the stove.

Well there we have it! Notice much of a difference by adding those few extra splits?

pen

rdust said:
I'm enjoying reading everything about this new stove. I'm not a fan of soapstone but since it's a bad steel stove wrapped in some pretty stone I may be able to get on board with it! :)

I think at this point my biggest knock is the 22" wood lengths, oak takes long enough at 16" I don't want to do anything to make it worse! :lol: If I was making a stove I would make it to fit what most people or wood suppliers consider firewood length. I could be wrong but for me that's 16-18 inches. What is the size of the firebox if you figure it using 18" lengths? People who just bought these stoves won't have oak that is ready in 22" lengths for 3 years! I'm not a fan of side loading stoves either but that obviously fits a lot of peoples needs since plenty of stoves are offered this way.

Anyway awesome stoves, I look forward to reading more good things about them. I'd really like Todd to get his hands on one since he's burned so many stoves he'd be a great source of comparison information. Todd maybe can you send you one on "loan"??
16' is the standard face cord length..3 face cords = 1 cord..16"x3=4ft.
No where around here could you buy 22' length.
Maybe if I payed more for it they may cut it for me..but I'm going to pay..you can count on that.
22"x3 would be like 5.5ft.deep instead of 4ft deep.

Adding the extra N/S splits near the door does not seem to get the stove any hotter, but what I do notice is more red hot coals after 12-13 hours. When I do load the extra splits, there is definitely a healthier coal base in the morning.

So it's making more of a difference in total burn time, and extends how long I get useful heat, but I still max out at the same peak temps.

rdust said:

Hey, if you guys all want to chip in and get me one I won't complain. :lol: I don't see the 22" lengths as a problem, I have lots of shorties to fill in as needed. How tall is the fire box? Could you fill it with 16" splits and have enough room to stand another one straight up vertical next to the door?

Status
Not open for further replies.