My stove is too small

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to feel better about my stove. It may be okay after all.

With nothing but softwood out here to burn, I would never settle for anything less than what I have=2.5 cu.ft firebox. IMHO, bigger is always better. Yep, gets to 80+ but then we can always undress :)

Jukeboxfun said:

Another point in your favor: If your place is 1100 sq feet, then looking at this picture of your install, you have located the stove about as perfectly as can be. You appear to be central to the house, so every BTU will radiate into something useful in the core of the house. And your pipe is inside for a good distance, so you'll have a nice draft, easy starts, plus lots of heat recaptured from the pipe.

You've got a lot going for you on this installation, and it looks classy. Way to go!

There's an old saying: "You don't size the church for Easter Sunday". Which is to say, so long as you have oil back up, you don't need a stove that can carry 100% of the load on the coldest days of the year.

Attachments

• stove2.jpg
    stove2.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 292
VTZJ said:
Jukeboxfun said:

Another point in your favor: If your place is 1100 sq feet, then looking at this picture of your install, you have located the stove about as perfectly as can be. You appear to be central to the house, so every BTU will radiate into something useful in the core of the house. And your pipe is inside for a good distance, so you'll have a nice draft, easy starts, plus lots of heat recaptured from the pipe.

You've got a lot going for you on this installation, and it looks classy. Way to go!

There's an old saying: "You don't size the church for Easter Sunday". Which is to say, so long as you have oil back up, you don't need a stove that can carry 100% of the load on the coldest days of the year.

I agree on all counts.

There is no doubt this stove is going to put quite dent in the other heating bill, if not render it null and void for a few months. There is a bonus value in this case in the comfort that it gives. Coming home to a nice little stove ripping roaring away makes a cozy effect that a slowed down big rig just misses. I think it is great.

akhilljack said:
it just depends on how well your house holds heat. a dealer here told me to get a stove with a 2.0 sqft firebox for my 1100 sqft house when i came in to get one with a 1.8 (osburn 2000 and 1600 respectively) and after i found a better deal on an osburn 1600 elsewhere i found out it was much too large. my house is always at 85-90. i would open windows but it lets all the moisture out and my infant starts to cough uncontrollable and we all get nose bleeds.

Sounds like you need to get a humidifier, either that or try putting a pot of water on the stove to add a little moisture to the air. Which is actually a good idea because adding a little humidity to the air can make it feel more comfortable.

Well I've been burning for awhile now and I can say that I should have got a bigger stove and a bigger house. The stove does just fine heating the place, I had it 86 degrees in here one night. However I just spent 5 hours with an electric chainsaw and a splitting maul getting my wood to the proper size to burn. Wah, poor me. Seriously the stove OK fine!

Good to here. That's a nice looking set up you got there. Does it hold coals for a restart over night?

Jukeboxfun said:
Well, Due to an unexpected seasonal layoff from work...upgrading wouldn't be an option anyway.

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job.
It's a depression when you lose your job.
\

AMEN!

Status
Not open for further replies.