1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

My wife started a fire last night

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Dairyman, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Dairyman

Dairyman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwest MO
    She texted me a picture and said this isn't hard.:cool: It was top down and she used 1/2 of a super cedar!!! And it was off. Came home to a 75° house and a 400° stovetop. I hope this is a trend.

100MEDIA95IMAG0396-1.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Nice job to her.
  3. My Oslo heats my home

My Oslo heats my home Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    yes, very nice...I have to say my wife has come a long way on her own the last few years. I'm happy to be coming home to a warm home by fire instead of the thermostat tweaking
    corey21, Dairyman and ScotO like this.
  4. certified106

certified106 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Athens, Ohio
    Awesome, my wife has finally gotten to the point she doesn't even need me to run or start the stove......
  5. ScotO

ScotO Guest

My wife has become quite the 'fireman' on the stove too. Oh, she's got her share of battle scars (big burn on her one arm because SOMEBODY didn't put the welding gloves on like I TOLD HER TO when putting splits in the fire)...But she's got it down pat, all the way from starting it, maintaining it, and loading it up with some 'good stuff' when she's got to go out for errands or go to work while I'm not home. I'm proud of 'er.....
  6. PLAYS WITH FIRE

PLAYS WITH FIRE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Oh, great thread! The wife has not got the starting fire procedure yet....but she now understands how to keep the fire going with out burning every bit of wood insight! She burns quite efficiently now.
    My Oslo heats my home likes this.
  7. salmonhunter

salmonhunter Burning Hunk

Loc:
    newbrunswick canada
    wish I could say the same. I sometimes come home to a cold stove with 1 big split in the stove and only a little bit of char on it. ohh well at least shes trying.
  8. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Don't feel bad. We have been married 42 years. Been burning wood 40 of that. My wife loves the wood heat but making it happen is my job. She has occasionally tried when I didn't come home (fire calls) but when she did, I usually found what you describe.:rolleyes:
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  9. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    My wife has also gotten pretty good at starting a fire and maintianing it. When I got home last night the cat was engaged and draft was down to one. I was impressed.
    Dairyman and tfdchief like this.
  10. Dairyman

Loc:
    Southwest MO
    She'll get the hang of it. Maybe you should put together a fire starting kit with some sure to light off splits and kindling. Have pictures and instructions to help.
    tfdchief and Backwoods Savage like this.
  11. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    I thought I'd be lighting all our fires. And I did the first two times. Then I slept in one morning. I haven't lit another one since.
    tfdchief and Backwoods Savage like this.
  12. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    I wonder what all your wives are posting over on myhusbandsanarrogantbutthead.com
  13. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    My wife is posting that her husband is so awesome becasue he makes sure we have 2 years of wood on hand that is ready to burn. He never complains that I like to keep the house at 75 degrees with a window open when it is 12 degrees outside. The money we don't spend on propane I can use for girly things that make me happy. :)
  14. Dairyman

Loc:
    Southwest MO
    Probably "I can't believe my husband washed the reds and the whites together again! Jokes on him he'll be wearing pink t-shirts! ".
    firefighterjake likes this.
  15. XJma

XJma Member

Loc:
    MA
    I believe my wife is either the moderator and/or started that site :rolleyes:

Luckily she grew up with a wood stove as the primary heating source, so she can at least get the fire going. We both grew up on 'smoke dragons' so we're both learning the EPA ropes....or at least one of us is trying to :)
  16. Seanm

Seanm Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE BC Canadian Rockies
    Thats funny!
  17. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Keep it up Chief and you might catch us on the marriage thing yet. lol

My wife has always done a good job of keeping a fire going but lighting one was always the most difficult thing for her. Thankfully when we bought some Super Cedars, she finally was able to light a fire and get it going good. She has done a few more and had mixed success but mostly good.
    tfdchief likes this.
  18. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    Teach her the tactics of what to do if the stove runs away on her so she has a toolbox of knowledge. Just sayin
  19. maverick06

maverick06 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    media, pa
    Been burning for 6 ...7 ... something like that years now.

All with the wife. she will happily run the stove, start and maintain the fire.

But she does run it a good bit hotter than I do. Its the mentality of fire and forget. BUT she does a good job with it. Of course the converse is that I am continually watching it making sure its the perfect burn.... so maybe there is some valid median level.
  20. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Milk it for all it's worth, Dairyman! ::-)
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  21. bluedogz

bluedogz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Maryland
    We have his and hers wood racks... one of little bitty girly splits and one of plus-size all-nighters.
  22. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    Well, I am leaving for hunting tomorrow...I brought two weeks of wood into the basement (even though I will only be gone one) and now she is on her own, which will not be a problem. She sent me a picture last night after loading the stove for the night to make me feel like I am at home (been traveling this week).

Gotta love that lady!
    Backwoods Savage and bluedogz like this.