My wood burning season is coming to a close in a few weeks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

They Call Me Pete

Burning Hunk
Nov 18, 2007
CT
Well I'm reaching the end of my last pile which will take me into March. Bought stove on a whim and had a couple cords kicking around plus I bought one. Starting to stock up for next year now plus once tree season kicks into high gear I"ll have more than enough. I may get a load of standing dead ash for $40 bucks a pick up load and try to extend the season even farther.

$40 per load sound like a good deal. Go for it, you may need the extra wood this year.

Ya, hopefully there's not too much more of this. Our woodpile is half buried in the snow and bringing in wood is starting to resemble more of an excavation exercise than carrying. I seriously look like I'm going underground into a wood mine. I need some of this to start melting.

Pete, that sounds like a good buy. You did not say which ash this is, but we are burning a lot of white ash and will be for many years. It is good wood without a lot of moisture so seasons fast. You can burn it green, but it is still much, much better to leave it split and stacked over the summer.

Yes it's white and I'm going to call the guy in the morning. Rain is in the forecast for Sunday night/Monday so I'd like to have it split and under cover by then. I've got some trees to drop in my yard for next year but haven't been motivated. One is a huge tulip poplar. Wish it was good to burn. It's about 4-5 DBH and 50 ft tall. That would last me a long time.

Hi Pete - We've been mixing in poplar this season with red & white oak, it's been great. Chars fast, HOT. I wouldn't mind having it on hand all the time.
Is there more of that ash to spare?
John

I wish my season was coming to an end! I have quite a bit of wood yet!

Hey Pete,
Sounds like the heating season ended up being good to you after the learning curve, ehy?

woke up this morning to find the oil man pulling up to fill the tank..ITs been a month since the last delivery..I love it when it takes him longer to get to the pipe than it does to acutally fill it! 49.5 gallons..came to $174.19..yeah, thats $3.51/gallon!

Status
Not open for further replies.