Naploeon 110 Burning fine for a month- Now smoked out! Same wood, 3' more pipe??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keith0

Aug 1, 2008
salt city, Hutchinson, KS
Installed a Napoleon 1100 & double wall stainless, burned fine for about a month, now has been back drafting into the house since the weekend!? Put another 3 foot section up, still the same problem! Getting a bit frustrated!! Same wood, nothing dif. to speak of.. try to get 'er going & smoke just backs out & I'm stinkin the house out!! I guess MORE PIPE!? & wonder why the problems after 4 weeks?

Did you check the cap screen when you added another section? I had perfect draft for most of the first year, until the 1/4 inch screen on the cap started to clog. Starting was becoming a problem, smoke was backing up. It got worse and would backup when we loaded. It took some time before I looked at the top of the chimney and found the problem.

My chimney goes straight up out of the back of the stove, about 12' single wall inside, through the roof and 10' of double wall outside. I clean it before each season. The pipe has dry bits of charcoal. The problem with the cap is it's much colder and gets coated with gummy wet creosote. I burn very hot and almost all oak. The screen came off the cap, the first winter 8 years ago. There was no way the screen would work. Only have had one bird get in the stove.

Yeah Keith it does sound like you have some kind a blockage in the chimney...and the cap is the usual suspect.

Is it possible that the top fiber baffle got bumped out of place? If not, are you sure it's the same exact wood and you didn't hit a wet section or different wood? Try splitting it one again and see if it's moist inside. Maybe try a few sticks from another part of the stack.

Could it be negative pressure? Have you tried to open a window on the other side of the room ALL THE WAY when burning to see if it helps?

Status
Not open for further replies.