Napoleon 1900 or Pacific Energy Alderlea T5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BENGRFF99

Oct 24, 2008
MAINE
Hi,

I'm having trouble deciding between the two. I live in northern Maine, and am looking to heat my home solely with wood. I live in a small two story home. The approx. square footage is 1200. Temps can be as cold as -50 below during the Winter. We are tired of being cold all winter long. I have no problem with inside temps reaching 85, 90, etc... it would actually be a nice change. Would either of these stoves be capable of heating my home to comfortable (t shirt & shorts) levels? My home has average insulation. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks, Ben

The 1900 is a 3 cu ft stove. the T5 is 2 cu ft. Best to compare it to the 3 cu ft PE Summit or Alderlea T6 and not the T5. Both will do the job, though maybe overkill in the shoulder seasons. I would expect the Napoleon to cost less, but the T6 to be a bit less intense in close quarters.

I've never experienced -50 nevermind trying to heat a house in those arctic conditions. Best to ask the folks that live in central Canada, MN, and AK. Blaze King Stoves are also popular for folks that need 24/7 heat in cold climates.

Get a Blaze King stove for the longest burn times. The looks can be a problem with the woman of the house. The non catalytics are too peaky, so less comfortable to live with.

BENGRFF99 said:
Hi,

Temps can be as cold as -50 below during the Winter. We are tired of being cold all winter long.

A Summit or Summit classic, Or Alderlea T-6 would easily keep up with your heating needs.

It might pay to upgrade your insulation, and windows if you can afford it....
I didn't know Maine got that cold.

{edit}I just re-read your post, so I deleted the question about how well your house is insulated.

Thanks for the input guys. Yes, Maine can get that cold. I live right on the Canadian border, across from Edmundston.

Status
Not open for further replies.