Nc 30 ash clean out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sowers25

Jan 16, 2012
NE West Virginia
I'm new to englander 30 and wondering what is the best technique for cleaning out this stoves ashes while burning 24/7?

Step 1: Remove the ash plug, cut / break a piece of firebrick to cover the hole where the ash plug was (with a tight fit, that is good enough, being a bit OCD, I put a ring of stove cement around the hole into the ash pan before setting that firebrick so that there are never any worries about air leakage there affecting my burn) ETA: IMO, step 1 should be done before you ever fire a 30. I firmly believe that the ash pan is more than worthless.

Step 2: Use a rake (something to push ashes/coals front to back in the stove) and push everything back about 1/2 way, maybe more.

Step 3: Use the rake, and pull forward into the void the ashes / coals you wish to keep

Step 4: Carefully shovel the ashes from the back of the stove you don't want anymore into your ash bucket held tightly to the mouth of the stove so that any flying ashes get sent up the chimney.

Step 5: Move ashes / coals around a final time to set things as you wish for your loading strategy.

Note: The only time my stove has no ashes in it is during June / July / August. I find the stove burns better wish some ashes leveled out in the bottom.

That's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

pen

Reactions: jotulguy
I take out a few scoops out in the front before reloading. The stuff in the front by then is ash. Then I pull the coals forward for the reload. You don't want to "clean them out" you want to leave a good ash bed for best burns.

New 30 owner here. I agree with the two above.

Before a reload, usually in the morning, I will shove out ash as needed. Rake coals forward, and put in wood. The stove runs better with a good bed of ash.

I haven't replaced the plug with firebrick, but I probably will this summer.

I wait to pull ashes out until I get home from work. I just don't have time in the morning, and once ashes come out of the stove, they need to be walked straight outside to the galvanized garbage can with a tight fitting lid. No way I'm leaving ashes in the house in any container other than the UL approved wood stove. Now, if I could find a UL approved ash can......

Reactions: PapaDave
New 30 owner here. I agree with the two above.

Before a reload, usually in the morning, I will shove out ash as needed. Rake coals forward, and put in wood. The stove runs better with a good bed of ash.

I haven't replaced the plug with firebrick, but I probably will this summer.

It will prob be sooner than that. :)

After a few (read: Dozens) of Snags, replacement with a Firebrick is a Must.

To Op- Follow Pens instructions and all will be well.

It will prob be sooner than that. :)

After a few (read: Dozens) of Snags, replacement with a Firebrick is a Must.

To Op- Follow Pens instructions and all will be well.
Nah, I'm good with the plug for now. I am well aware of it. I shovel on each side and then spread the ash left to right before pulling the coals forward. It will be replaced, though.

Of all the tools I have made for my stove(s) this is by far the most often used - daily - to move ash around and coals forward to load stove. When I want to get rid of ash I just take a few scoops out from the front prior to moving the coals around and they quickly go to the fire pit outside. I have also taken out the plug and replaced it with a fire brick. I think if you choose to leave the plug in for the season you will likely get more controled burns and burn time if you fill the ash pan and leave it full all season. tools 002.JPGtools 003.JPGtools 005.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.