NC-30 users

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlpz

Sep 14, 2006
Syracuse, New York
I have a couple questions for NC-30 users.

Where do you folks place your thermometers? I have a Rutland located right below the bump.

What kind of burn cycles do you use and what are the burn cycle times? I've tried the "Burn it smart " video method but doesn't seem to get hot enough so then i pile it on and let it burn.

How much wood do you fill it with, in which directions, and at what temps do you run along with air settings? Kind of the same question as above. I get the stove running about 500 -600 but in no way am I cooking my self out of the house let alone the room.

Are you running a blower? I am not just a ceiling fan and a small fan on the floor

Now that the real cold weather is coming, I want to optimize this thing but I'm still trying to figure the stove out and how it burns. All advice always greatly appreciated!

dlpz said:
I have a couple questions for NC-30 users.

Where do you folks place your thermometers? I have a Rutland located right below the bump.

What kind of burn cycles do you use and what are the burn cycle times? I've tried the "Burn it smart " video method but doesn't seem to get hot enough so then i pile it on and let it burn.

How much wood do you fill it with, in which directions, and at what temps do you run along with air settings? Kind of the same question as above. I get the stove running about 500 -600 but in no way am I cooking my self out of the house let alone the room.

Are you running a blower? I am not just a ceiling fan and a small fan on the floor

Now that the real cold weather is coming, I want to optimize this thing but I'm still trying to figure the stove out and how it burns. All advice always greatly appreciated!

I have my thermometer a few inches from the stove pipe on the right side. I don't know why but I think someone said it is a good spot to get the Max temp.

Burn cycles: I will load it in the morning with 3-4 smaller splits on the coals and let it get going, then load it up with 5-6 good size splits and it is good to go for around 10 hours with top temps from 600 to about 300 at the end, then I load a few small splits for the evening and load it up before bed with 5-6 splits and repeat.

I load it front to back normally but have played with the side to side and it seems to burn a bit slower as the air has to get over the front split to get to the other splits.

When I get my stove going from a cold start I can bring my 24x 36 great room with cathedral ceilings from 55 degrees to 80 degrees within 2 hours with a ceiling fan blowing around. I do not have a blower but at times use a box fan to spread the air into the main part of the house from the great room.

I typically leave the damper about 3/4 of an inch from all the way shut when the stove top is around 600 and I am going to leave it for the night.

So far the stove has beat my expectations. Simple and full of heat!

Status
Not open for further replies.