Near overfire in new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBBaron

Hearth Supporter
Feb 8, 2008
Cleveland
I'm sure all of you veteran woodburners would not make this mistake but me being a newbie just about overfired my newly installed Yosemite stove.

I usually fire up the stove when I get home from work and run it hot all evening before shutting it down for a long burn over night. I was proud that I got a good fire started quickly that evening vs the previous day that it took me over an hour to get a good hot stove. I threw a couple more logs in for a full load and pulled the air control out to about half before sitting down for dinner. Because I am still a new burner I decided to check on it in the middle of dinner and found a roaring fire and the stove pipe collar on the top of the stove was over 600F. I closed the primary down fully and finished dinner. Immediately after dinner I check again and the fire was still roaring and the temps were about 700F. I couldn't figure out why it was running so hot.

Then I remembered I had checked the ash tray before starting the fire. Maybe I didn't get the door closed all the way. Layed down and checked it and sure enough it had a very small gap around the ash tray door. After some fiddling I was finally able to get the door fully closed and the fire slowed way down immediately.

That was much too close for comfort. Especially for a brand new stove (it was a floor model that had been fired several times at the stove shop).

Lesson learned, ALWAYS make 100% sure the ash tray door is fully closed.

Craig

I don't think that's near your overfire temp. But, point well made on the ash door. Relax, everyone does something like that from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.