Need advice - how to clean wood stove insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kflo

Hearth Supporter
Jan 20, 2010
southern new hampshire
Hello everyone. Wonderful site for information. I have a napoleon wood stove insert. Exceptional stove. My question is this is our second winter using the stove. I have a full liner from the stove to the top of the center chimney. I had the flue cleaned this fall. They did vacuum out the stove but did not remove the bricks and vacuum. Is that necessary? Should we remove all the bricks and vacuum out? Will this help the stove perform better? When should this be done and how often? Any info would be very grateful.

kflo said:
Hello everyone. Wonderful site for information. I have a napoleon wood stove insert. Exceptional stove. My question is this is our second winter using the stove. I have a full liner from the stove to the top of the center chimney. I had the flue cleaned this fall. They did vacuum out the stove but did not remove the bricks and vacuum. Is that necessary? Should we remove all the bricks and vacuum out? Will this help the stove perform better? When should this be done and how often? Any info would be very grateful.

You should only have to remove the bricks once a year,
during your annual thorough cleaning.
Any ash that falls between the firebricks is insulating
the metal of the stove from the burn chamber, so you might as
well leave the it in there.
HTH.

I don't know how everybody else does it but the ash in my old stove had been between those bricks since 1985. The ash between the bricks in the new stove has been there since 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.