Need advice quick ---- old farmhouse fireplace, put in gasline stub or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FarmHouse

Oct 15, 2009
PA
Hi guys,

I'm trying to make a decision before I leave for a trip this Sunday. I'm having gas stubs installed throughout my basement for range, WH, furnace, garage....and possibly chimney. I have an old chimney that's completely unlined. Originally I thought I wanted to put a wood stove insert in there after talking to a local chimney guy, he recommended redoing the fireplace first because of it's odd shape (personally I like the white field stone). Fast-froward 6 months and I'm thinking that maybe I want to put a wood furnace in the basement in addition to the regular gas one. The wood furnace can reuse the chimney from the old oil furnace (once it's lined).

So now I have a empty, unlined fireplace. I need to tell the plumber whether to bring in a gas stub through the chimney in the basement and up through the ash box (sp?). He said this is how he would do it for gas logs, but not a gas insert. Honestly, I didn't know there was a difference. According to him, for the gas log insert they run the line outside the house and enter from the back of the chimney. So basically I need to make a decision quick.

I'm mainly going to use the fireplace for secondary heat or as a backup. I guess my question is should I go with simply gas logs, gas insert, or neither? And for gas logs or insert, what are the liner requirements for vented/non-vented?

Thanks!

K5o6a.jpg

oeGFQ.jpg

Why not have the plumber leave a tee with a plug in it just below the fireplace, just in case.
That way if you decide in the future to put an insert (efficient space heater) or a vented gas
log (inefficient fuel waster), you'll be that much better off.
As far as venting goes, most of the better gas inserts are Direct Vent (DV)
& use a co-linear liner for intake air & exhaust by products.
There are some natural draft (B-Vent) units out there, but without knowing
how that fireplace will draft, one of those may not be advisable.
There are those here who will extol the virtues of house-vented (aka Vent-free)
appliances whether inserts or gas logs, but I am not one of them & they've been outlawed in 5 or 6 states & Canada.
As far as your plumber telling you that gas line is run differently for gas logs or gas inserts,
I say he's full of doo-doo (unless there's a building code in your area that he knows about & I don't!)...
Gas line is just that. GAS LINE.

DAKSY said:
Why not have the plumber leave a tee with a plug in it just below the fireplace, just in case.
That way if you decide in the future to put an insert (efficient space heater) or a vented gas
log (inefficient fuel waster), you'll be that much better off.
As far as venting goes, most of the better gas inserts are Direct Vent (DV)
& use a co-linear liner for intake air & exhaust by products.
There are some natural draft (B-Vent) units out there, but without knowing
how that fireplace will draft, one of those may not be advisable.
There are those here who will extol the virtues of house-vented (aka Vent-free)
appliances whether inserts or gas logs, but I am not one of them & they've been outlawed in 5 or 6 states & Canada.
As far as your plumber telling you that gas line is run differently for gas logs or gas inserts,
I say he's full of doo-doo (unless there's a building code in your area that he knows about & I don't!)...
Gas line is just that. GAS LINE.

Thanks for the layman explanation. I may in fact have him leave a stub next to the chimney downstairs and keep my options open.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.