Need Advice- Will this setup work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

psu4868

Oct 18, 2011
Sullivan County, PA
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to this site and I am amazed by the amount of information here. I'm looking for some advice on installing a woodstove or insert into an existing masonry fireplace. The fireplace dimensions are 31" height, 22" depth, 23" wide in the rear and 32" wide in the front. There is also wood paneling surrounding the fireplace that is 7" from the opening. There is brick between the fireplace opening and the paneling. There is no raised hearth, the fireplace is flush with the ground and there is carpet about 12" from the fireplace. As you can see clearances will be a major problem here. I was wondering if there is any woodstove or insert that can be used with this setup. Also, what can I put over the carpet that I can set a woodstove on. I know ideally that I should rip out the carpet but we are renting so I"m trying to avoid any major remodeling. So what options do I have? Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• fireplace1.jpg
    fireplace1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 198
  • fireplace2.jpg
    fireplace2.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 192
hmmm...renting??? may need to get the landlord in on this, might need to have it somewhat "removeable" should you end up leaving???

I have talked to the landlord and fortunately he is ok with it. I am leaning towards a woodstove over insert so we can easily take the stove with us when we move. Are there any portable hearth pads that can be placed on top of the carpet to serve as the hearth extension?

If you do decide on a free standing stove that you may take with you, be careful with the way you deal with the chimney and flue. You will want to make it so that it can safely be returned to a open fireplace for the next occupants. You don't want somebody starting a fire in a dangerous situation. When you remove the damper you should carefully dismantle the moving parts and store them in a labeled box. Maybe take a picture of it before you disassemble it to put in the box. Then there is the issue of getting the liner up through the damper without cutting the damper frame. You most like will need an ovalized section.

There are portable hearth pads or you might just want to set the stove in on the hearth and use a hearth extension pad as web suggested. The stove will dictate how well insulated this pad needs to be. Yoder is a major manufacturer of this type of pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.