Need help choosing a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mban112

Jul 13, 2008
Kansas
This is a great forum!

I live in Kansas where it doesn't get too terribly cold--a few bad streches here and there. I want to get a wood burning stove to put in the fireplace or, if need be, right in front.

I am looking at three models: Jotul F400, jotul F500, and Quardafire Isel Roay (great sale). The Isle Royal and the F500 won't fit into the fireplace. The F400 will. Our home was built in 1950, so some drafts here and there. It's about 2500 Sq feet, including the basement. Without the basement--which doesn't get much use--it's 1800 squeare feet with two stories.

I'm hoping to use this as a heating source, but I'm not sure whether or not to go with the f400 because of the space or to just build out a hearth pad and get the f500 or the Isle Royal.

Does anyone have experience with these models? Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There are a few IR users on here and I have never heard a complaint about it. Some people really love the top loading and I have heard others say they never use it. From what I see on here Jotul makes a great strove as well, again, I don't really see any complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.