Need help fixing my fireplace, please help, pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

htnspz

Jan 23, 2009
San Diego, Ca
Hi Everyone, I was referred to this sight because of my fireplace. I would like to fix it so I can use it. It has a chimney and supposedly burns both wood and gas. Someone says it's a zero clearance. Currently, there are some cracks and there are no doors. How do I fix it? My home inspector told me to use a heat sealant for the cracks, but not sure if that's the most appropriate solution. Also, I really want to be able to use wood in the fireplace, but I don't necessarily need the heat in san diego. There are no doors so I'm not sure how to replace them.

Attachments

• 41.jpg
    41.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 512
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 531
I'm not an expert and soon some of the experts will chime in. I would use stove cement to fill the cracks. Did the fireplace has doors at one time? Can you find a manufacuters name plate on it?

As far as making it a usefull fireplace. Zero clearance fireplaces can be tricky. Certain inserts will work in them, but you have to be sure. I see you live in San Diego. Does it really get that old there?

You might be better off fixing what you have and using it then trying to put something effecient in there. A good fireplace insert and liner can easily cost a few thousand dollars. That's before you deal with what would be necessary to install it in a zero clearance fireplace. Up north, three or four thousand dollars is money well spent because we will see that much in savings in a few years. I'm not sure about that where you live.

I just edited my post to say that I don't really need the fireplace for heat but would still like to use wood. Would I be able to do that with the concrete fix? How would I find new doors? maybe I would just use a screen?

Also, I don't understand why I have a zero clearance fireplace if I have a chimney

Thanks for helping

I'd be getting a certified chimney inspector in there before I did anything- my initial inspection was only something like $75 and I learned an awful lot about what I had.
This is the safety of your home and family- call a pro.

htnspz said:
Hi Everyone, I was referred to this sight because of my fireplace. I would like to fix it so I can use it. It has a chimney and supposedly burns both wood and gas. Someone says it's a zero clearance. Currently, there are some cracks and there are no doors. How do I fix it? My home inspector told me to use a heat sealant for the cracks, but not sure if that's the most appropriate solution. Also, I really want to be able to use wood in the fireplace, but I don't necessarily need the heat in san diego. There are no doors so I'm not sure how to replace them.

That's DEFINITELY a ZC box. Look just inside and above the opening to see if the rating plate is still there.
If it is, & it's still legible, you should be able to find the manufacturer's name, model # & serial #...
Once you have that, then you can search to find a local hearth shop for parts.
If you can't find the plate, try to remove the refractories from the firebox without trashing them.
Take them to a local hearth shop & they should be able to fabricate replacement refractories from
pressed vermiculite blanks...
We have them with standard brick & herringbone patterns...
IIRC, the blanks are about 24 x 39 x 1-1/4 & cost about 90$
I've cut them to size with a circular saw & formed any chamfered edges with a rasp.
As far as doors go, one option is to take a look at www.stollfireplace.com...
They make high quality doors for many factory-built (ZC) fireplaces...
HTH

So I wanted to update what happened with my fireplace and post a pic because I think there's a new problem with my fireplace. I had someone come in and they suggested a new back panel to my fireplace and now it looks horrible. The paint he used has come off and there's a huge crack. When I called him back, he said that the crack was fine, that I should get a fireback because I use natural wood in the fireplace. I plan to do that but I'm not sure the fireback will cover the seam.
What do you all think, is there still a problem and should I be concerned with the crack?

fire.jpg

Who told you it burns both wood or gas? I hope that isn't a gas fireplace someone thought they could turn into a wood burner! Could be why there are no doors, might of been a single pane of glass? Find out what it is before you burn wood in it.

I bought the house as a foreclosure so I don't know much about it. When the fireplace guy came, he told me that the back panel was cracked from prior wood burning usage. It had a gas log set into it but I wanted to be able to burn wood in it so he removed the fake wood set and made a back panel for it. I know that my neighbors burn wood in their fireplaces as well and my house as identical twins in the area.

I'm just concerned over the crack and whether I should have someone fix it or not bother with it and get a fireback for the back. The fireplace guy said it was just a cosmetic issue and not one I should be concerned with but I'm nervous and want to make sure he wasn't lying to me.

edited to add: The fireplace's gas line might have been added later as a matter of fact. They had used some sort of clothes dryer valve on it or something. The fireplace guy I hired fixed the line though. Sorry if it sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about. That's why I hired a professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.